Lost In The Pages [Closed]

Nova Harte
7th Year | Prefect
7th Year | Prefect
Player: Nova

Lost In The Pages [Closed]

Post by Nova Harte »

Stepping into the library, Nova took a deep breath, inhaling the musty smell and exhaling with a smile. If there was one thing she loved more than designing clothes, it was reading. After all, you couldn't learn new things to try if you didn't expand your horizons. She was on the hunt for something that could show her some of the older designs that witches wore, wanting to create some piece that was new but still had a touch of the classics. Sometimes if she came up with a particularly good design, her mother would actually make it and include it in her shop. Nothing made her more excited than that prospect.

She hummed to herself as she made her way into the stacks, though quietly of course, she couldn't disturb the people in there studying. She herself couldn't study inside, it was just too stifling and the light was never right. She walked through the stacks, running her fingers over the spines of the books, trying to quickly read the titles in the hopes of something about culture or history about areas or time periods.

It wasn't as if this was all she spent her free time doing by any means, but when she was caught up on her work and tasks, why not spend some time doing what she enjoyed most? She hummed some more but stopped as she saw something that looked interesting, "Ah ha, come to me, my pretty," she mused to herself as she plucked the book off the shelf. In the mingled culture of her home, Nova found she didn't have much of an accent as one would expect of a native of London. Her father's American accent and her mother's British accent somehow negated themselves around her. That being said, she did still have some things that came out with some kind of an accent, or odd terms that leaned more toward one culture than the other. Plus, spending her free time online at home, she had some interesting terms from that hobby as well.

With the book in tow, Nova found herself at a table and pulled out her sketchbook. With her pencil in her fingers and prepped by the page, she opened the book...
I won't conform to fit anyone else's mold.
Isobel Evans
6th Year
6th Year
Player: Felix

Post by Isobel Evans »

Isobel found herself in the library quite often. It was quieter than the common rooms were and all the books where there as well. She liked the quiet and the smell was a welcome joy that she invited to her sensory all the time. With a bright smile and some of her work in tow, she walked through the door. Granted the work she had was extra credit work, but what else did she really have to do at this point. The rest of her work was caught up and she didn't really have but a handful of friends and they were all busy doing other things.

She waved politely to the librarian as she passed and took a seat at one of the empty tables. After setting her books down, she walked to one of the rows of books and began her search for the perfect book. A small smile played at her lips, as she was in her element.

The book she needed finally jumped out at her, not literally of course. She pulled it from the shelf and carried it over to her seat where someone else had decided to sit as well. Isobel didn't mind another person at the table. In fact she quiet welcomed the company. It was nice to not be alone in the library for once.

Isobel set down her book and took a seat across from the other student. She slipped open the book and grabbed parchment to begin her studies. It wasn't until the other girl started sketching that Isobel looked from her work. She tilted her head slightly and smiled. "I don't mean to be rude, but...that is quite impressive work. Do you...I mean...create these designs after you draw them?"
Nova Harte
7th Year | Prefect
7th Year | Prefect

Post by Nova Harte »

Once she had the task before her, Nova tended to lose herself in the moment. She became unaware of the people and world around her, focusing on finding what information she needed to make the sketches. It wasn't just looking at the pictures, but also reading about how it was supposed to fit and what kind of stitches were used. She would get so into the process, she'd forget the rest of the world existed for a while. She was practically unaware of the people around her, so she did not even realize that the person had joined her at the table. She was trying to sketch what she was reading about, then giving different twists, seeing what she liked. When the voice came from so close, she was wretched out of her thoughts. She looked up and gave a small jump realizing that someone was right there.

"Oh, my apologies," she said, putting her hand on her chest, then her brain fully processed the question, "Oh, yes," she nodded, "I try to, depends on the things I need to make it," she said, "In this case, I probably wouldn't be able to make it myself, but I planned on sending the best design to my mother. If she likes it, she for sure would be able to make it. Or she'd have ideas of how to replace some of these older materials with newer things without losing the effect," she said, tapping the book she was reading from, "If I *really* wanted to do it myself, I suppose I could just ask her to send me what I needed too," she mused
Isobel Evans
6th Year
6th Year

Post by Isobel Evans »

Isobel knew what it was like to get lost in the task at hand. She had no issues with the way the other girl responded. She just offered her a polite smile and waved her apologies away. "No need to apologize, I completely understand being distracted by the work." Her eyes really focused on the pages now that the girl was paying attention and Isobel no longer felt like she was intruding. The sketches were wonderful and Isobel was utterly impressed with the skills the other girl possessed.

"You are really talented. I wish I could make my own attire. It would really save my father some money. Not to mention these designs are brilliant!" She pondered for a moment and looked at the book she was referring to and then it hit her. "Wait, you take your inspiration from books and turn it into a design? I would love to see some of your work in fabric one day!!" Isobel was fascinated by other people's talents and this girl really had a knack for fashion.
Nova Harte
7th Year | Prefect
7th Year | Prefect

Post by Nova Harte »

Nova smiled brightly at the praise, "Why, thank you," she said, always pleased to hear that people liked her designs, looking back at her work before looking up as she mentioned saving her father money, "Well, I could always make you a model to practice things on and you could keep them," she smirked a little then smiled more broadly as she made the connection to the book, "This time, yes, that's the goal. In my usual fashion I just sort of use the usual gothic style and fashion trends to make my things, but I wanted to challenge myself. I was hoping for some pictures of the designs, but I suppose that's what I get for hoping wizarding books will have pictures," she snorted a little, amused at the issue.

She set her pencil down before holding her hand out across the table, "Nova Harte," she said, smiling again as she introduced herself, "Don't think I've had the pleasure of your company before," she observed, hoping she wasn't wrong, "If I have, I apologize, sometimes I have a rather short memory," she shook her head at herself.
Isobel Evans
6th Year
6th Year

Post by Isobel Evans »

"Oh! You are most welcome. I don't normally intrude on people doing work but I saw the drawings and had to compliment them. Everyone deserves to know the good things." She smiled and was being quite honest. Normally she would have glanced at it but would have said nothing because she was too shy to to talk to new people. But the art was wonderful and it couldn't go left unsaid. Not to mention the girl actually made the outfits out of real fabric and not just on paper.

When she mentioned Isobel being the model and keeping the designs she felt her cheeks redden and she shook her head quickly. "Oh no no...I mean don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind being your model for the designs but to keep them? That is simply too much! Your designs belong on the runway!" She would love to keep them to be honest, she truly did love the work the girl was putting forth but Isobel was selfish and would never ask to keep something someone put so much effort into.

She giggled a little at the comment about the books not having pictures. "True, but you could find inspiration around the castle? Have you tried the portraits?" She took the girls and smiled. "Isobel Evans. It's a pleasure to meet you. And no...we haven't met before." She wrinkled her nose and shook her head playfully at her apology.
Nova Harte
7th Year | Prefect
7th Year | Prefect

Post by Nova Harte »

Nova smiled at her, "Well aren't you just sweet," she giggled a little, before she smirked at her adamant refusal tied in with another compliment, but nodded in relief to hear she hadn't forgotten her, "Good," she said, "Well, good as in I didn't forget someone, not good as in I didn't know you. I'm sorry, that came out weird," she snorted in a laugh, "But you are right, I have looked at a few when they would stand still for me, but others always say they're busy and step out of frame," she stuck her tongue out a bit, "Trust me, I've been trying for years. I have made some interesting things based off the suits of armor though," she said, flipping to another page, "Mostly something someone might where in the capitalistic version of Halloween, but, yeah," she smirked a bit more.

"I've been spending more time drawing than I have paying attention in class, so I'm trying to get it out of my system cause if I door poorly in class, those NEWTs are going to spit me out at the end of the year, and I can't have that. I'm no scholar by any means, but my mother would make me be an underling much longer in her business to "prove myself" if my scores were low," she muttered, shaking her head, "Sorry, complaining," she made a face at herself, "I'm sure you came into the library for reasons of your own, not to listen to me prattle on."
Isobel Evans
6th Year
6th Year

Post by Isobel Evans »

Sweet? Isobel hadn't really ever been called sweet unless it was by her father. Then again, most people didn't see her at all. She was like the fly on the wall. "Sw-sweet? I..." Her cheeks were a light pink as she looked down and shook her head. "I don't think I-" But she stopped short when Nova apologized once again. "Not to worry. You didn't forget anyone. You and I are just meeting and I must admit I am rather glad I did. I an thoroughly impressed by your skills and I do hope to see more. That is if you'd like to show me."

It was a bit odd though, she mentioned that the portraits said they were busy. Perhaps she wasn't going about it the right way. "Not to be rude, But how did you engage them? I find that asking them about their past, or why they were here in Hogwarts always gets a good story or two. Might sound a bit boring, but at least they'd stand still for you." She smiled at the girl but had to admit she loved listening to their stories.

"Ah yes, NEWTs, I am not looking forward to those at all. But I'm sure you can get your head right and put a bit of time to studying. If you ever need a bit of help, I could help you out there. I study pretty early in the morning though. I think the last time was...." She pondered for a moment and then smiled. "Yeah, about five in the morning." She laughed a bit and shook her head. "I came to read and study a bit, but this is much more interesting than Ancient Runes."
Nova Harte
7th Year | Prefect
7th Year | Prefect

Post by Nova Harte »

"I'd love to show you and would love to use you like I said, as a model, but if you're not comfortable, I won't push the matter, you're just so pretty, I know you'd be perfect so many designs," Nova smiled at her, then looked a bit shocked at the proposition, "I... I cannot believe I never even thought of that," she shook her head, "I have gotten tied up by them more than a few times when they want to talk incessantly, but I never thought to use that as a time to draw them, I always just listened," she said, shaking her head.

When she mentioned helping her study for the tests, Nova again brightened but then looked a bit surprised at the time mentioned, "Well. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to adjust my schedule a bit, I shouldn't stay up so late if I'm going to start working after I leave here," she mused, tapping her nail on the table, "Well, if you don't mind the company, I'd be glad to join you," she beamed at her.
Isobel Evans
6th Year
6th Year

Post by Isobel Evans »

"Really? You still want me to be your model? I mean I am not against the idea. And I would totally take the clothes if you...really wanted to give them to me." She let out a giggle and smiled. "I'm perfectly comfortable, I just didn't want you to think I would only do it for payment in clothes. I am happy just to be helping out. Your designs are just...out of this world." She turned a dark shade of red when Nova called her pretty again. "Stoooop."

As Nova realized she could engage the portraits with their stories that they oh so much love to share, she smiled. "Yes, it's not something we think about when we are being dragged into the old times of their tales. It would be perfect, and besides, I'm sure they'd love to see them, the drawings I mean, after they are done. I feel like, they don't get enough attention and some of them are just lonely."

Isobel laughed when she told her the time she got up in the morning to study. "I could certainly adjust my time as well. If you ever wanted to join me I'm sure we could come to an agreement of a time that works for the both of us." She smiled brightly and nodded. "I'd love the company, to be honest, I don't have many friends here. I do have a few, but I think for the most part I'm pretty invisible." Not that she minded much, people were nice enough to her, it was just sometimes it did get lonely. Perhaps that is why she talked to the portraits and knew what they were going through. Just old art, hanging in a hallway.
Nova Harte
7th Year | Prefect
7th Year | Prefect

Post by Nova Harte »

Nova giggled a little at her blushing but didn't tease her further, not wanting to embarrass or push her away. She blushed herself at the comment saying her designs were out of this world, "Oh they're not that good, but thank you," she laughed softly.

As she started to talk about getting the drawings while listening to the stories, Nova's mind began to wander just a little, trying to think of whose painting she should go to first. She looked up again as she heard her say she didn't have many friends and her brows shot up, "What, really? But you're so lovely! People really are missing out! I can get some of my friends in your year to start keeping you company in your classes and stuff, and I'll hang out with you when we can, I simply insist," she said, her more Hufflepuff nature coming out at the idea of making sure her new friend wasn't alone, "The experience is just so much more profound when you have people to share it with," she nodded sagely before hearing a shush from the librarian. She hadn't realized her voice had raised in volume as she spoke. She gave him a tentative, apologetic smile and a wave before looking back ahead to Isobel.
Isobel Evans
6th Year
6th Year

Post by Isobel Evans »

"But they are that good!" She smiled at the girl and shrugged her shoulders. A lot of people couldn't take compliments and she completely understood where that came from. It was hard for Isobel herself to take compliments as well. Nova was very nice and she was really enjoying her time with her.

Isobel perked a brow, there it was, the compliments she wasn't good at taking either. "I uh...I'm just me, Nova." She smiled and looked down shyly. She mentioned that she could introduce Isobel to her friends well. "Wow, that's so kind of you! I would really enjoy that." She grinned at Nova. It was lovely that she was meeting new people who really wanted to be friends with her. "I completely agree with that. Being alone is a little, well lonely." She let out a chuckle when the librarian told them to hush a little. "I think we both got a little excited there." She laughed quietly.

"Do you want to grab some dinner later?" She didn't want their interaction to end but she really needed to get back to her studies as she had a few assignments to complete before the end of the day.
Nova Harte
7th Year | Prefect
7th Year | Prefect

Post by Nova Harte »

Nova smiled at her as she turned her attention back to her, "Most certainly," she said, "I'll bring those friends I mentioned so the lot of you can get acquainted," she suggested, "I promise not too many, I don't want to overwhelm you," she said, shaking her head, "Maybe by then I'll have talked to a portrait and gotten a design for you to check out too," she smirked softly.

"If I'm going to be a distraction, I can certainly see myself out, no need to be taking up space for a doodle," she laughed softly before closing her drawing notebook and the book she'd been looking, "I'll see you at dinner and we can talk about when we'll get up in the morning," she laughed softly before standing up from the table, "An absolute pleasure to meet you," she smiled at her again and, with a whizz of red hair, was off to return her book to the stacks.

Return to “Archives”