A Blast from the Past [Closed]

Declan Murphy
History of Magic | Head of Gryffindor
Player: Nova

A Blast from the Past [Closed]

Post by Declan Murphy »

It had been what felt like forever since he stood in front of this particular castle, and nostalgia hit Declan like a freight train. Though nostalgia wasn't the only emotion. He took a deep breath, ruffling his hair a bit before pushing open the doors and making his way through the halls.

He was starting here a bit late, having missed some fun it seemed like, but he had been far and away and dealing with some expedition that had gone slightly awry. But alls well that ends well, and he finally made his way to where he was supposed to be. But it was about midday and he wasn't to start officially teaching until tomorrow. He more or less was trying to get himself reacquainted with the building, and its layout, and to figure out where exactly the staffroom even was. Hadn't exactly been a place he was looking for when he was here before.

Once he found it, he stepped into the room and started to look around, taking it in and humming a bit. He stopped toward the middle of the room and chuckled a bit to himself, "I don't know what I was expecting, and yet somehow this is anticlimactic," he mused to himself, before sitting down and taking a deep breath. He wondered who all was working here now and looked around to see if there was some kind of staff list or something where he could get a sense for who all he'd have to get used to seeing around. He wondered if there were any professors he'd remember, considering what all happened here...

He tapped his finger on the table, feeling this odd sense of being too still, too passive at the moment. He had spent the past few years constantly moving, and he wasn't sure he was going to exactly be able to handle sitting still, but Derek Cross had suggested he take the position. He'd met Derek at a dig site and didn't expect to work with him again, especially not in his old stomping grounds. He looked up at the ceiling as he thought aloud, "I wonder how to quidditch season's going..."
History isn't just about dusty books and forgotten tales. It's the heartbeat of our past, the lessons we carry into the present.
Cabhan Daley
Potions
Potions
Player: Felix

Post by Cabhan Daley »

Cabhan hadn't been having a great day thus far. He had spilled hot coffee on himself earlier, burnt himself on one of his cigarettes, and managed to have a run-in with students who thought it was a great idea to be making out in one of the darkest corners of the dungeons. He, of course, told them it was not acceptable and took points from their houses. He didn't give them detention because he remembered what it was like to be young as well. Now, he needed more coffee since his first cup was wasted on his robes.

He muttered the password before shuffling his way into the staffroom and making his way over to the floating percolator of coffee. He waved his wand and poured another cup before turning. He stopped dead in his tracks, his jaw hit the floor and that was followed shortly by his coffee cup as well. The man sitting at the table, it couldn't be. There was no possible way Declan was sitting at the table in the staffroom at Hogwarts.

After regaining his motor skills, he tried to find his voice but nothing but a strained sort of whimper came from his mouth. He waved his wand, quickly cleaning up the mess he had made, yet again. "D...Declan?" He took a step towards the table his friend sat at. "I thought you were abroad, that was the last I heard from you." He had finally found his voice and even though it was a bit confused, he was happy to see his friend. Happy and nervous. Old feelings started to come to the surface and he fought back the urge turn a deep red.
Declan Murphy

Post by Declan Murphy »

Declan had watched him come in, seeming like he was in his own space, smirking a little as he realized who it was, though he wasn't entirely sure how he should feel about seeing him again. When he finally seemed to notice him, Declan watched Cabh's reaction, then watched the coffee cup fall. He watched for his old friend to get himself together before looking back up at him.

"I was abroad last I wrote to you," Declan said, "But as it turns out, I've done a few expeditions with your librarian, and he made me aware that this position had come open," he murmured, watching his friend's reaction, judging it before starting to stand from where he was sitting, "Thought I'd put all the information I had to good use," he smirked a bit more, shrugging, "Sorry for not letting you know I was coming, but I kind of wanted to see your reaction," he chuckled, "Kind of worth it."

Staring at him now, Declan couldn't help but remember the past, but he was focusing on the positives, their time together here in the halls as friends and students. He cleared his throat, "Glad to hear and see there's finally a potions professor that doesn't make people hate everything about it."
History isn't just about dusty books and forgotten tales. It's the heartbeat of our past, the lessons we carry into the present.
Cabhan Daley
Potions
Potions

Post by Cabhan Daley »

He wiped his chin where a little coffee had dribbled down it and closed his mouth. Still trying to get over the shock of seeing his old friend again. He looked as good as ever. He quickly pushed those thoughts away and listened to his friend speak. "I see. I uh...guess I just didn't expect you to be here. Not that...well I mean.." Damn it Cabhan Get it together. He took a breath and tried again. "Never thought you'd settle down from your travels is all." He sighed and rolled his eyes a bit. "I was expecting it, that's for sure." He took another sip of his coffee and let out a chuckle.

If Cabhan was honest with himself, however, he was terrified to see Declan again. After what had happened, after the past between them, about the secrets they held together and the rather big one that Cabhan kept to himself. It was all very overwhelming. The initial reaction to his presence here at Hogwarts was an honest one. He hadn't expected to see Declan, not like this and not caught off guard.

He scoffed a bit at his friend's comment. "Ah, well yes. I try to make it fun, interesting, and a well-liked subject. I know that a lot of students struggle with it. We even have a club for it where they can come and learn more and we work on more difficult potions if they'd like, or they can try to perfect the ones they already know." He really did care about his students and the subject at hand. He wanted it to be useful and not hated as the potions they will take into the real world after Hogwarts will stick with them for life.

After finally getting over the shock of seeing Declan, he took a few steps towards him. "All in all, it's really good to see you. You'll have to tell me of your travels, you know the ones you haven't told me in your letters."
Declan Murphy

Post by Declan Murphy »

Declan chuckled a little as Cabhan struggled to get his thoughts in order to talk to him, "Well, it's nice to have a roof over my head for a few months year, yea? Not always living in tents and huts, not even magical ones," he said, putting his hands in his pockets, "Not that the weather's all that better, I just have to worry less about getting sick from it," he shrugged a shoulder.

He nodded as he listened to him discuss his experience as the potion's professor and smirked again as he could hear how much he cared about his students. He nodded a bit, looking down for a moment before realizing that Cabhan had come closer, and looked back up as he heard him speak.

"It's good to see you too," He said, being sincere. It changed his tone for a moment before he cleared his throat, "I think there's only a few I didn't tell you about, namely the ones that were unsuccessful or ended a bit disastrously as I didn't want to worry you," he said, laughing a little, "I swear, Cross was a live saver, he gave me a book on herbs and such and I spent a lot less time regretting trying things in the wild," he said.
Cabhan Daley
Potions
Potions

Post by Cabhan Daley »

It was a bit odd to have Declan back in his life, physically at least. Now that he was here, standing in front of him, all of the old feelings and doubts came rushing back. It was in part why he stumbled over his words quite a bit. "Ah, so does that mean at the end of the term you'll be headed back out on another adventure?" He honestly would be disappointed if Declan decided to venture back out into the world again. It was not his choice to make though, but perhaps he could sway him one way or another now that he was back. "Ah, yes...living it muggle style were you? Living off the land like the animals do?" He let out a chuckle.

Cabhan was passionate about his students and his job, it meant a lot to him to know that the students knew the material. He did his best to help them as much as he could. Cabhan could feel the tension between the two of them, but he wasn't entirely sure what kind of tension it really was. There was a past there between the two, secrets that they held and feelings that were not talked about. Cabh could feel the heat between them and it flustered him slightly. He fought off the reddening in his cheeks, however.

He nodded at Declan's agreement of the reunion. "As much as I appreciate you sparing me worry, I would like to know about all of your travels. Especially now that I know you're safe." The air between the two of them was charged, he resisted the urge to take another step toward his friend as he spoke again. "Ah, well I can see why that would be helpful. I wouldn't want you putting anything in your mouth that could potentially make you sick, or worse." He smirked and could really feel the proximity of the two of them. It was rather close indeed.
Declan Murphy

Post by Declan Murphy »

Declan could feel that proximity as well and took a few steps closer himself, testing those waters. A lot of things had happened since he'd seen his friend last, and he's had a lot of time to think on some of his journies, "Well, you'd be surprised the thrill of living on the edge without relying on magic, how much more surreal it makes things... how it brings the world into perspective," he said, looking over Cabhan's face.

"But no, I don't plan on just leaving. I might go on a small excursion or something, but... maybe you could come along," he mused, "Then I wouldn't have to just write to you about it," he smirked a little as he posed the idea, "I think we'd have a lot of fun."

He was standing just a few inches away, definitely within arm's reach, but he was trying to read his body language, read his expression...
Cabhan Daley
Potions
Potions

Post by Cabhan Daley »

Cabhan awkwardly cleared his throat when his friend took a few more steps, closing the gap between the two of them. His heart was racing in his chest and he could hear the blood rushing to his head...and other places. The warmth of Declan's body was almost against him and it was driving him mad. "I see." He tried to keep his composure "I don't believe I have ever lived in such a manner myself."

Relief washed over Cabhan when he stated that he wouldn't just up and leave again. His eyes widened when he invited him on his next little excursion. "I...I think I would enjoy that as well." His heart was pounding out of his chest now. His palms were sweaty and all he wanted to do was to reach out and touch Declan again. "I agree, I think we would have a lot of fun. You would have to teach me this muggle way of living." He smiled coyly and shuffled his feet closer to Declan.

His eyes were still locked with Declan's as the electric feeling in Cabhan's body intensified. What was it that his friend expected of him? It wasn't fair, how close he was, the way his hair fell into his eyes, the fullness of his lips. Oh, his lips. His eyes shifted from his eyes to lips, he ran his tongue across his own before looking back to Declan. Did he feel the tension there as well, or was it all in Cabhan's head? Merlin, he must have felt some type of way.
Declan Murphy

Post by Declan Murphy »

Declan watched Cabhan's reaction with more than a little amusement. He didn't realize the effect he'd have on him, and it more than supported some of the thoughts he'd had when he was off on his excursions, "Oh, we'd be doing more than just muggle way, we'd be going back to the basics," he chuckled a little, looking into those deep, dark eyes, "Ever gone skinny dipping?" he asked, definitely knowing exactly what he was doing before pulling a handkerchief from his pocket and wiping at some coffee that was still on his chin a little after Cabhan had licked his lips.

"You missed a spot," he murmured, "I... feel like there's more you and I need to discuss, but I'm not entirely sure this is the place to be having that discussion considering we could be... interrupted at any time," he said, though didn't move back from the closeness between them, "I've had... a lot of time alone to think. And I've got a lot that's come to mind in those times. Namely you."

The time, the distance, his thoughts, and now this energy that was between them... it was everything he could do to keep his hands to himself.
Cabhan Daley
Potions
Potions

Post by Cabhan Daley »

Cabhan couldn't handle this closeness much longer, his heart was hammering away in his chest and he was fighting like hell to keep his breath even. However, the more Declan spoke, the worse it got. Skinny dipping? Okay he had to be messing with Cabhan now. His eyes widened and a gasp escaped his lips. "Ski-skinny dipping? I uh...erm..." He couldn't find his words once more and Cabhan was pretty sure Dec knew the effect he was having on him by this point. The fact that he pulled out his handkerchief and wiped coffee from his chin was all too damn much. He felt as if his entire body was going to implode and there would be little Cabhan pieces all over the staffroom.

"To-to answer your question, no I have never been skinny dipping." He finally got his composure only to be thrown for another loop. He wanted to go somewhere more private to have a conversation about things that hadn't been said yet. A lot of time to think, a lot coming to his mind, namely...Him?! Cabhan coughed and into his arm and finally broke the intense eye contact they had been holding. "Wh-what?" Was he serious? "You're serious? You aren't just messing with me, right? I mean, at this point it is obvious that there is a certain way I feel about you." If he was playing his emotions he was going to be furious and wrecked at the same time. But to give him a fair shot, Declan had never done anything to intentionally hurt Cabhan before. "We can take this to my quarters if that makes you feel more comfortable. It's not far from here."

He was completely dumbfounded, shocked, and over the moon all at the same time. He wanted someone to pinch him, was he still dreaming?
Declan Murphy

Post by Declan Murphy »

Declan smirked as Cabhan looked away, "Have I ever lied to you, Cabh?" he asked as he tucked the handkerchief away. He reached and touched his forearm, "I'd prefer this conversation be somewhere more private, so yes, please lead the way," he said, though perhaps....conversation might not be entirely the right word. While he was enjoying his reactions, he wanted to be able to make it clear he wasn't pulling his leg. And it was clear from how Cabhan was reacting that he wasn't alone in how he was feeling, "Do you have other classes today?" he asked.
Cabhan Daley
Potions
Potions

Post by Cabhan Daley »

He shook his head at his question. "No, you've always been rather honest with me, sometimes too honest in fact." He felt the heat in his cheeks rise and there was no stopping it this time. The man he had been in love with since they were kids was standing in front of him telling him he wanted to go somewhere more private to talk. Did he really feel the same way? How long had he felt this way? He mentioned he started to think about them on his travels, had it only been recently that Declan had realized he had feelings for Cabhan? No matter, it was all coming out now. He nodded and walked towards the door. "No, I had my classes already." He stated simply before walking out of the staffroom, looking back to make sure Dec was following him.
Declan Murphy

Post by Declan Murphy »

Declan chuckled at his comment about sometimes being too honest but followed after him. He followed him back towards his quarters, moving his hands to his pockets for the time being, glancing around as they walked, just to see who all might be in the hall. Once they reached Cabhan's quarters, Declan took a deep breath, rubbing the back of his neck as he looked around the space, giving Cabhan the time to close the door and join him in the room properly before looking towards him, "I... I take it from your...reactions... I'm not too late in figuring all this out," He murmured, smirking a little, "Admittedly, I think I've....felt what I feel for a while, I just hadn't really stopped and considered everything," he said, taking his hands out of his pockets as he looked his friend head-on, looking to his eyes, trying to read him, "The last time I was writing you a letter, all I could think about was how I wanted to share what I was seeing and experiencing with you and how I hated that the only way we'd communicated all this time was letters and I just...." he took a deep breath, "It was shortly after that letter that I was told about the position here and started to go about getting the job," he murmured.
Cabhan Daley
Potions
Potions

Post by Cabhan Daley »

Cabhan opened the door to his quarters and allowed Declan to enter. "Pardon the mess, I haven't had the chance to clean it." He was overly concerned with the 'mess' but his idea of mess in his OCD brain was literally a crooked stack of books, a quill and parchment left out on the desk and one coffee mug in the sink that hadn't been washed yet. He shut the door behind them and turned his friend. He was a little nervous about what was about to happen, but he was also very curious.

He scoffed at his friends' nervousness as well. "Too late? Dec," He shook his head and took a deep breath before letting it out in a sigh. "I have felt his way about you since our years here at Hogwarts. I never had the courage to tell you how I felt, and then you went off and got yourself a girlfriend and I thought I was the one that was too late. There is no amount of time that could pass between us that would change how I feel about you." Cabhan had only ever dated once and it had ended horribly for him. Since then he had only ever wanted to be with Declan, had only ever thought of Declan and nothing would change that.

"I looked forward to every letter that I received from you because it was the only way I could feel as though I was there. After what happened..." He trailed off and had to look away from his friend for a moment as he tried to prepare himself for what was about to come to pass. "Before you left...With my father, I thought I had ruined everything. Then you left and you took a whole piece of me with you and left an empty spot where you were supposed to fit. I owe you my life Declan, and I..." He raised his eyes once more and looked into his friends. "I without a doubt, am in love with you, Declan Murphy. Always have been, always will be."
Declan Murphy

Post by Declan Murphy »

Declan looked at him as he spoke, taking it all in, and something about those last sentences, his shoulders seemed to loosen, sagging a little, "I only got the girlfriend cause I was trying to grasp what I was feeling," he murmured, "Seeing if it existed elsewhere- if it could... Neither of us exactly had parents that would have understood it, though what you went through..." he shook his head, "Maybe if I'd have just been honest about it and confronted my feelings from the start, all of that could have been avoided. Unfortunately, it's not allowed to use a time turner to go back and figure that out," he gave a wry smirk that didn't quite meet his eyes for the moment.

He walked over to be in front of Cabhan and put a hand to his cheek, "I'm sorry it's taken me this long to realize it, Cabh, but... Not only am I in love with you, I don't want to keep going through this life without you," he said as he looked in his eyes, "Seeing you again after all this time, feeling you," he murmured, running his thumb against his cheek, "It feels almost more like I'm dreaming than reality, as cheesy as that is to say," he gave a smirk, shaking his head at himself.
Cabhan Daley
Potions
Potions

Post by Cabhan Daley »

Cabhan shook his head and reached out touching Declan's arm. "Don't feel guilty about it. We all do things in school or when we are younger in order to figure ourselves out. Besides, as you said, our families would have a had a fit if they found out. Could have been a lot worse for the both of us." He tried to see if it existed somewhere as well. He dated Dwyer for a little while. He did care for the boy but it wasn't Declan and it wasn't the same, strong intense feeling that he had with his best mate. "No, it couldn't have been avoided, mate. It would have just been worse, perhaps my father would have just killed you before I even had the chance to..." He cut himself, he couldn't fathom the thought of losing Dec.

When Declan touched his cheek he pressed his face into his hand. The warmth, the gentleness of it. It was all coming together and it was exciting, but also terrifying at the same time. He nodded at Declan. "It's cheesy, I mean it is, but I know exactly what you're saying." He stepped into him and wrapped his arms around him for the first time in a long while, expect this time it was different. He didn't have to pull his feelings away, he didn't have to choke down the love he had for Declan, and he could show him exactly how he felt. He held him tight and looked up at him, his eyes soft, and Declan's lips looked inviting. He pressed his lips to Declan's, his eyes slid closed, and kissed him with more passion, with the power of the regressed feelings he had been holing back for so long.
Declan Murphy

Post by Declan Murphy »

Declan felt like even more of a weight shifted away when he felt Cabhan's arms slide around him. Something about the action, being so close to him again after so long... he put his arms around him as well. He drank in the feeling of it, Cabhan's scent... He looked at him when Cabhan looked up before feeling his lips on his. It was like a spark ignited in him, his heart nearly exploding from how much it felt like it was swelling. He kissed him back with the same passion, fully embracing the feelings that had lain dormant for so long, tucked away with the fear of facing this part of himself and his past. But it wasn't fear he felt now. He felt a lot of things at that moment, actually, and some of them were far more primal than others. As he kissed him again, some of that primal feeling coming through as much as he was trying to restrain himself. He'd spent so long restraining himself though... "Cabh," he managed as he pulled back for a breath, "I'm trying not to rush things, but it's harder than I realized," he chuckled a bit.

[[Continued in The Age Line]]

Return to “Archives”