Office Hours (Prof. Forrester + Trent #1) [Closed]

Ethan Forrester
DADA | Head of Ravenclaw
DADA | Head of Ravenclaw
Player: Fox

Office Hours (Prof. Forrester + Trent #1) [Closed]

Post by Ethan Forrester »

The Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom was somewhat unique among those at Hogwarts, because at the front of it was a staircase leading up to a mezzanine with a balcony and the teacher's office. Ethan wasn't overly fond of the staircase, but at least his office was convenient to the classroom, so he really couldn't complain. Some other teachers weren't so fortunate.

The office itself was circular, with a worn, dark oak hardwood floor, and bookcases, display cases, and a fireplace taking up nearly the entire circumference, but not blocking the grated windows. The cases were overflowing with books and curious artifacts (some of them exuding an air of creepiness), about half of which were property of the school and permanently assigned to the DADA professor, while the balance was from Ethan's personal collection. Some oversize books were neatly arranged on a window sill. Ethan was just as much a book hoarder as any other Ravenclaw.

In the center of the room were a desk, a rolling swivel chair, and two comfortable guest chairs. There was also a comfy armchair positioned at a right angle to a window, making a cozy spot for reading with a cup of tea.

It was the morning of Saturday, September 3, 2005--only one day of classes had been held so far this term. The fireplace was lit, and a light rain made a soothing patter against the office windows.

Presently Ethan was seated at his desk, dressed more casually than when class was in session, as he reviewed his curricula and class schedule, with a cup of tea and a few defense textbooks (each with an abundance of bookmarks) opened and scattered about. A perch stood in front of one of the windows, but his owl, Artemis, was not present. His office door was open.
Trent Innes
7th Year
7th Year
Player: kim

Post by Trent Innes »

There had only been one day of classes, but Trent was ready for the week to end. Even on the first day of school, all of his classes had been stressful; almost all of his professors began their lessons by lecturing on the importance of the N.E.W.T. year. They had been given the same speech in their fifth year about their O.W.L.s, but as they entered their final year at Hogwarts there was an added level of panic that even Trent could not ignore. After a long day of classes and more homework than he had ever known before, Trent had served detention in the Owlery with housemate Kyle Winters. The next morning, Trent could hardly believe to find himself in the third-floor corridor just outside of the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom on the first Saturday of the term.

Throughout the last six years at Hogwarts, Trent had been summoned to staff offices more times than he could count, but for the first time this morning, he was visiting a professor outside of class voluntarily (albeit somewhat reluctantly). After an amazing summer apprenticing as a Curse-Breaker, Trent wanted nothing more than to be offered a full-time job. But for that, he needed to do well on his N.E.W.T.s, and remembering how difficult it had been to catch up in his fifth year after months of slacking, he thought it was best not to fall behind at all this year.

Although Trent did quite well on his O.W.L.s (in the subjects he needed for Curse-Breaking, that is), his work ethic had greatly diminished in his sixth year. Now after years of academic apathy, this was Trent's last chance. He hesitated by the door of classroom 3C as though bracing himself for some unpleasant task, then stepped into the empty classroom. Trent liked Professor Forrester well enough – his classes were one of the few that Trent rarely missed – but he didn't exactly relish one-on-one interactions with any professor, even the ones he liked.

While Trent did not particularly struggle in Defence Against the Dark Arts (Potions, on the other hand, was the bane of his existence), Professor Forrester was aware of his ambitions and had counselled him in the past. It had never been confirmed, but Trent also had a sneaking suspicion that Professor Forrester might have put in a good word with the goblins and was one of the reasons that Gringotts had accepted his application in spite of still being a student.

As Trent ascended the stone staircase into the mezzanine, part of him hoped that Professor Forrester would already be in session with another student. He reached the top of the stairs and cursed under his breath to see that the door was wide open. Stalling for time, Trent stood out of view from the office, pulled his book bag off of his shoulder and dug out the book that the professor had loaned him at the end of last year. Book in hand, Trent knocked on the frame of the open door as he entered the office. "Good morning, sir."

Having never taken advantage of office hours before, Trent did not know what to say next. While he waited for Professor Forrester to take the lead, he wondered briefly whether or not the Head of Ravenclaw would admonish him about his poor exam results or his detention last night; he did not particularly care, but it would make his visit take much longer if that were the case.
Ethan Forrester
DADA | Head of Ravenclaw
DADA | Head of Ravenclaw

Ethan had warded the staircase and balcony outside his office to alert him with a soft, innocuous ding if someone was standing outside his door. The sound couldn't be distinguished from a mere teaspoon clanking against the inside of a teacup, so it wouldn't alert the visitor that their presence had been detected. It was just sufficient to warn him that any conversation was no longer private. This sort of ward was part and parcel to being an ex-auror; they really hated to be startled or snooped on.

Only after Trent made his presence known did Ethan look up to see who it was. "Ah, hello, Mr. Innes. Please, come in, I would welcome the distraction--I've just been reviewing lesson plans and schedules and such," he greeted as he shuffled some of his materials off to the side of his desk, visually indicating that his guest had his complete attention.

Ethan was aware that his student had had his share of struggles, even recently. Most of those were beyond his purview, but he hoped that he could help the lad achieve his career goal if nothing else, as it seemed to be his best chance for a fulfilling future. "Have a seat if you like," he invited as he gestured to the empty chairs. "What can I do for you? I recall at the end of last term you'd expressed your intent to apply for a curse-breaking apprenticeship. Did the Goblins indulge your request? How did that go?" He himself had had similar training, part of it provided by Gringotts, the balance provided by the auror office.

Ethan probably knew more than he was letting on, via correspondence with Gringotts, but he didn't want to appear to have been prying out of concern for the boy's progress.

"Also, would you care for some tea?" He gestured toward a tea service tray that the house-elves had thoughtfully brought him earlier, that was now sitting on the corner of his desk, with a spare cup or two. He hoped the offer would show that he was willing to have company for a while--anything to make Trent feel more welcome and comfortable conversing with him.
Trent Innes
7th Year
7th Year

Post by Trent Innes »

Trent stepped into the office and sat down in the chair opposite the desk, looking around with curiosity. Professor Forrester's office was definitely one of the better ones that Trent had been in; he didn't like getting glimpses into his teachers' personal lives, and much preferred seeing these creepy artifacts over family photos.

Not wanting to make small talk but unsure of how to proceed, Trent was grateful for the prompting question from Professor Forrester. Before he could answer, however, Professor Forrester offered him tea. Caught off guard, Trent looked to the indicated tea tray. He bluntly answered, "No," and quickly amended it to "No, thank you," when he realized how impolite he had sounded.

Somehow feeling more uncomfortable after this kind gesture (he was used to being disciplined by his professors, not hosted), Trent returned to the previous conversation about his application to Gringotts. "Er, yeah, they accepted me," he said. While he felt that the professor’s question was sincere, he did not know how thorough an answer he was looking for and simply concluded with: "I spent two weeks in Egypt this summer with a team of Curse-Breakers." If Professor Forrester wanted to know more, he would probably ask.

Trent spoke again, segueing into the reason he was here this morning. "The goblins will consider me for employment next year, but only if I get the required N.E.W.T.s." As he said the words, Trent began to feel more and more ridiculous for attending office hours in the first place. What did he expect Professor Forrester to help with, exactly? Trent already knew what he needed to do. Attend class, do the homework, and study. All of the things that he didn’t do last year, earning him an ‘Acceptable’ average in his exams.

"I'm sorry," he said suddenly, rising from the chair. "I'm wasting your time." Realizing that he still held The Dark Arts Outsmarted tightly in his hand, he held it out for the professor. "Right, here's your book back. Thank you for loaning it to me."
Ethan Forrester
DADA | Head of Ravenclaw
DADA | Head of Ravenclaw

"Egypt? It sounds like you had quite an adventure...forgive me for being a bit envious. I'm curious to hear about your experience, if you're willing to share. Back when I was a junior Auror, they sent me on a series of five training expeditions, each one more challenging than the last. The final and most interesting one was to the wizarding monastery in Tibet--I don't recall the name of it, but it's still in use today. The monks residing there showed us their curse-breaking techniques, and had us practice on a number of items. I recall one of them was what I'd call pathologically cursed as it had thirteen layers of cursing. But much more interesting, and fun, was some sort of wooden puzzle box that was cursed just three ways. The goal for that one was not to remove the curses, but to circumvent them simultaneously so you could open it up to retrieve a piece of parchment inside, read the secret that was inscribed upon it, put it back, and leave the box intact without any signs of tampering."

He leaned back in his chair and folded his arms.

"It's a very good sign that the Goblins have offered to consider you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I presume they want the usual Charms, Defense, Potions, Transfiguration, Arithmancy, and Runes. I honestly believe you have the potential to satisfy their requirements. However--and this probably isn't what you want to hear--I'm also aware that you have a history of missing classes and assignments in your other subjects. That's self-defeating behavior, and it's going to bite you if you continue that pattern."

Yes, he was blunt, but it was the honest truth, and Trent probably needed a little kick in the pants. He let that sink in for a moment while he reached up to stroke his chin.

"That said, I know how important this is for you, and I want you to succeed, so I'm willing to offer whatever assistance I can, even if it isn't strictly related to my class. I can't force you to attend your classes, or complete your assignments, but I can offer advice whenever you ask for it, lend you books, and write passes to the restricted section. I know this year will be challenging for you, and with challenge comes stress. I might be able to offer some forms of stress relief--if it seems you're making an honest effort."

"You're not--", Ethan began to protest as Trent said he was wasting his time, but now the boy was already standing and offering a book to him. He leaned forward to accept it. "You're welcome, Mr. Innes. Remember that my door is always open. Proverbially, at any rate."
Trent Innes
7th Year
7th Year

Post by Trent Innes »

No one had ever asked Trent about Egypt before, and he leaned back in his chair in silence while he considered his answer. To be fair, he hadn't really told anyone about his summer plans, neither before nor after his return. He was a little surprised and also a little touched that Professor Forrester had remembered; it was months ago when he had asked the trained Curse-Breaker's opinion as to whether he thought the goblins would accept his application as a then-sixth-year student.

While he thought of what to say about Egypt, Trent listened to Professor Forrester's recollections. He found himself leaning forward towards the professor, enraptured by his tale. He wanted to hear more, but first, he needed to reciprocate by sharing his own less-impressive adventures. "Well, I actually didn't do much," he began, frowning as he tried to put his experiences into words for the first time since his exit interview with Gringotts. "I did have some practical experience with the treasures that had been confirmed only to have lesser curses. It was all right, but I already do that in your class."

Trent had always considered DADA to be his favourite class, but it wasn't until this summer that he realized just how much the last six years with Professor Forrester had helped prepare him for his dream career. Having answered the professor's question, Trent typically would have concluded the story here without offering any of his own sentiments. However, bolstered by fondness and gratitude towards Professor Forrester, Trent continued: "Even though I didn't do much, it was amazing to explore the tombs with the Curse-Breakers and watch them work. It was the best two weeks of my life, and I can't wait to go back."

When Trent's delinquent behaviour was inevitably addressed, he closed his eyes and leaned back into the chair, his expression neutral. "I know," he said quietly, indifferent. Whether it was disciplinary or out of concern, Trent had heard more or less the same words from the rest of his professors at least once. Expecting the lecture to end with the warning, Trent's eyes snapped open when Professor Forrester began to offer assistance. Trent listened as Professor Forrester explained how he might be able to help, and Trent nodded appreciatively. For now, there was not much they could do when there had only been one day of classes, but Trent felt relief in knowing that the offer would still stand.

Despite Professor Forrester's protest, Trent felt unworthy of his time. His struggles had been his own damn fault, and it wasn't fair to keep him from other students who were deserving of his help. "Thank you, sir," he said, still fighting the urge to leave. "And, again, thank you for lending me your copy of The Dark Arts Outsmarted. I couldn’t find it in the school library, and it was extremely useful to me this summer. Whenever I heard the Curse-Breakers mention a spell I hadn't heard of before, I would look it up later that night in the book."
Ethan Forrester
DADA | Head of Ravenclaw
DADA | Head of Ravenclaw

Ethan nodded as Trent briefly recalled his experience in Egypt. "You may not have been given anything that really challenged you, but at least now you've got a better idea of what life as a cursebreaker would be like. I hope it will be sufficient to motivate you to see this through. Of course, it won't always be in exotic locations amid unfamiliar cultures."

He nodded again as Trent expressed his gratitude for having loaned him the book. "As you progress, I'm afraid you'll find that a lot of cursebreaking knowledge isn't well documented, if at all. This is partly because practitioners are fearful of losing work, if anyone can just open a book to learn their best tricks. But it's also partly because new curses are being invented all the time, and books can't keep up with it all. However, the cursebreaking community represents a very small demographic, so it's not always worth the cost of publishing a book, either. But I'll loan whatever materials I can that may help you."
Trent Innes
7th Year
7th Year

Post by Trent Innes »

Trent nodded slightly at Professor Forrester's comments, paying close attention to whatever the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher had to say. He had heard similar remarks from the Curse-Breakers he had worked with over the summer, but it was comforting to have the information confirmed by someone he knew and trusted.

Nevertheless, it did not feel natural for Trent to talk about himself, so when it was his turn to speak he simply said "Right," and the conversation lapsed. He knew he needed to offer something in return, and he considered what he could say. Ultimately, Trent said nothing and silence filled the room before the subject was changed.

When Professor Forrester mentioned lending out his personal collection of unpublished works that he was not likely to find elsewhere, Trent found himself returning to his previously abandoned seat. "Yeah – that would be great, thank you, sir. Though, it sounds like I won't have much time for recreational reading this year."

Trent checked his wristwatch. He wanted to hear more of Professor Forrester's recollections, but it felt prudent to get back to the reason he attended the DADA professor's office hours. "Speaking of this year, I do have a question about my N.E.W.T.s," he said, a hint of defeat in his voice as he brought up the far less interesting - yet more important - topic of conversation.

“But would it be okay if I visited you after class sometime? I’d like to hear more about your experiences as a Curse-Breaker. I'd be interested in anything you could tell me, even if it doesn't involve any exotic locations. Egypt was great," he explained, "but I don't care where the goblins send me, just as long as I can go somewhere."
Ethan Forrester
DADA | Head of Ravenclaw
DADA | Head of Ravenclaw

Ethan took a sip of his tea as his student lamented his lack of free time for recreational reading.

"What's on your mind regarding your NEWTs?", he asked as it seemed Trent was hesitant to ask--or maybe he intended to save the question for a later time.

"You're always welcome to approach me after class or during regular office hours," he offered. "So long as I don't have a queue of students asking questions about classwork or assignments, which would take priority, I'd be more than happy to chat. I imagine I have a fair few stories to tell that might be of interest to you." He smiled as he relaxed in his chair. "Another possibility to consider: I usually make the trip to Hogsmeade whenever there's a school outing, if only to serve as a chaperone. If you're so inclined, you're welcome to walk with me there--I could share a tale en route or at the Three Broomsticks."
Trent Innes
7th Year
7th Year

Post by Trent Innes »

Trent opened and closed his mouth several times, still hesitating on his question about his N.E.W.T.s. He wasn't sure how to phrase it, and to be honest, he was a little afraid of what the answer would be. He nodded as Professor Forrester outlined his availability outside of class, sincerely hoping that there would be time for it during what was shaping out to be a very busy seventh year.

"Yeah, I never miss a trip," Trent said, perking up at the mention of Hogsmeade. "That would work. Should I meet you somewhere?" he asked. He wasn't exaggerating about never missing a trip to Hogsmeade; he had always found the castle to be oppressive. With his birthday yesterday, Trent has been a legal wizard for a full year now and dreaded being restricted to the castle grounds for another ten months -- especially after such an adventurous summer.

With nothing left to delay the inevitable, Trent got to the point: "My question is, how much of the sixth year is included in the N.E.W.T.s?" he asked. "Because... I, well, it wasn't my best year." Of course, Professor Forrester already knew this; Trent had gone from an 'Outstanding' in his Defence Against the Dark Arts O.W.L. to barely scraping an 'Acceptable' on last year's exam. But how much did the Head of Ravenclaw know about a Slytherin's grades outside of his own classroom? "In all of my classes," Trent clarified.

Already expecting Professor Forrester to confirm his beliefs that the N.E.W.T.s include everything from the sixth year forward, Trent took a deep breath and asked the question he really needed the answer for. "Will I be able to catch up on everything I missed last year, or am I fucked? Sorry, professor," he added hastily, "but is it even possible?"
Ethan Forrester
DADA | Head of Ravenclaw
DADA | Head of Ravenclaw

"You can find me in the clock tower courtyard at nine o'clock on whichever Saturday is announced for the next trip," Prof. Forrester replied. "That's where and when permission slips will be collected from the students not yet of age--I'm not sure if I'll be the one collecting them or not, but I'll be there regardless."

He arched an eyebrow (something he often did when surprised) when Trent used an expletive, but didn't comment about it. His student had dug a deep hole for himself, after all.

"If I recall, sixth-year material will typically account for between a third and half of a NEWT exam, and it's entirely up to whichever Ministry employee ends up preparing it," he answered. "I'd suggest reviewing last September's readings and assignments this month, and last October's material next month, and so on. That way you'll be caught up by the time the exams are administered and you won't be in a rush to review it all at once. Cramming never works--there's only so much material a human mind can absorb, process, and retain in a given period of time. It may encourage you to know that people tend to retain more on their second reading of anything, especially if they're already somewhat familiar with other concepts that build upon what they're reviewing. But you'll want to set aside at least an hour a day, at a bare minimum, just for reviewing old material. It's going to be a slog. The trick is to pace yourself and make it routine."
Trent Innes
7th Year
7th Year

Post by Trent Innes »

Trent leant forward in his chair and rested his elbows on his knees, his expression unreadable as he listened to Professor Forrester's advice. His lips twitched with a smile with the warning that cramming wouldn't work; it was as if the professor anticipated precisely what Trent would otherwise do. While that method had (somewhat) worked for his O.W.L.s, Trent was in agreement that it would not be feasible for N.E.W.T level material and he simply nodded in response.

"Yeah, okay," he said, rubbing a hand across his jaw while he considered. He had been worried there wouldn't be enough time to review both old and new material, but an hour a day sounded reasonable and he felt more optimistic. Trent still had more questions for Professor Forrester, but first, he needed to tackle his next problem: his notes from last year, or the lack thereof. "Right, thanks, Professor. I'll see you in class Monday," he said, standing up. He pushed his chair in and paused. "I actually mean it this time," he added with a wry smile before turning and leaving the office.

By the time Trent had made it out of the castle and into the fresh air, the anxiety and dread he had been feeling since the summer had finally eased. Realizing that it was due to his visit with Professor Forrester, Trent found that he was glad that he had decided to go through with it after all.

Return to “Archives”