Vera Llewellyn

Vera Llewellyn
Player: Ellie

Vera Llewellyn

Post by Vera Llewellyn »

Platonic
Vera's not much of a social creature, but she's not a total recluse. She likes a good drink and has had fairly shallow friendships in the past, mostly with coworkers. She needs someone to actually be friends with (though she'd never admit being lonely), so I'm open to any ideas. She does also love to talk about work, so relationships with colleagues would be probably the most constant part of her social life.

Romantic
Vera is even worse at dating than she is at friendships. She's really not had any serious romantic relationships, mostly just superficial, short-lived flings, and she's not really ever considered herself someone who needs to settle down with a man to be happy. But of course, she'd also never admit to herself that she might need or want that, either. I'm open to romantic plots with Vera, or backstories from her past.

Antagonistic
Vera has quite possibly made some enemies in the past. She's at least stepped on some toes with her ambition in her previous career and her cutthroat race-to-the-top-of-the-class attitude at school. She's likely not a favorite with students, either, with her no-nonsense, stickler-for-detail methods. I'm open to ideas!
kim

Post by kim »

I still need to finish Dorian’s profile, but these are my thoughts.

Dorian and Vera have very similar personalities. Dorian can be very sharp and standoffish, and he would be interested in someone like Vera who challenges him… and that’s why they also might not get along initially. I’d be interested in doing an “enemies” to friends type plot.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Ooh, I like a 'frenemies' type idea! I think Vera would both enjoy and be annoyed by someone who goes toe to toe with her, so that would be fun.
Jae

Post by Jae »

I have a couple of ideas for some of my other characters. Many of them like to colour outside the lines, and I'm guessing that’s something that Vera doesn’t really like.

If Vera fancies a good drink, would there be a chance that she has visited the Curious Chimaera before? It’s a hybrid café/bar owned by Mal and it’s at the intersection of Horizont Alley and Knockturn Alley. The location’s a touch shady, but it does function as a base of operations for Mal’s information brokering services after all. Would Vera know that Mal is an information broker who operates outside the law? I believe that would greatly affect the dynamics of their relationship.

Vera and Nigel have a few things in common: they’re both professors at Hogwarts and former Ministry employees. He’s also a bit of a workaholic and is always happy to talk about work, plus he’s also fairly new to teaching (he started only in September 2001). That said, Nigel has his fair share of secrets. He was a former Unspeakable who decided to leave the Ministry for unknown reasons; there are rumours flying around but he has neither acknowledged nor denied anything before. He also owns a Muggle motorcycle that – thanks to a broom compass he crafted – can fly and turn invisible; I’m not too sure how Vera would feel about that.

Louis is pretty chaotic and unpredictable. For quite a number of years since 1995, he had applied to become an Auror and had been rejected multiple times. Only in 2002 was his application finally accepted. As the chief legal counsel in the Auror office, maybe Vera had a say in rejecting Louis’ applications? If so, it might have been pretty unpleasant for Vera to bump into Louis at Hogwarts.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Ooh, fun! I don't know if Vera would frequent somewhere she knew was running some kind of underground/illegal business, but if Mal had ever been on the radar of the Auror office, she may have had dealings with him or at least be familiar with him. She might stop by the Curious Chimaera on a whim if she were to be in the area, just out of a sort of nostalgia for her Ministry days, and run into Mal, so that might be interesting to play out.

I think Vera would probably enjoy talking to Nigel about work and be intrigued by his Ministry past, but she's not one to pry, so they might be comfortable around each other. I don't imagine she'd be a giant fan of his motorcycle, but them being in a similar situation having left the Ministry for teaching would definitely override that. Vera's not entirely content with her new career, and Nigel could be someone she lets see that more considering their similar pasts.

Oh, I think Vera would quite likely have been involved in rejecting his applications (liabilities and all) and that could make for a really interesting dynamic. I don't think Vera would be uncomfortable running into him, she wouldn't have seen anything wrong with rejecting him and wouldn't hesitate to stand by that, so that could possibly create some friction between them. That could be interesting to play out!
Jae

Post by Jae »

Mal does have dealings with some Aurors and Hit Wizards. He might not always be on the Ministry’s side, but he has his reasons for doing what he does. Ultimately he wants to make the world a better place for everyone, and he’s more than willing to help the Ministry if the Ministry’s goals happen to align with his. Perhaps their relationship would be either cold and businesslike, or more ambiguous where they both kinda know that they're not really each other's enemies, but they don't have a very strong and compelling reason to trust each other yet?

In contrast to Vera, Nigel’s actually pretty comfortable in his new role as a professor. He genuinely enjoys guiding others along and helping others achieve their full potential, so maybe that’s something he could share with Vera. It’s perfectly alright if she disagrees with his point of view too; I would think that Nigel would miss being an Unspeakable every now and then, since his deep interest and knowledge of time magic and horology – which form quite a major part of his identity – isn’t particularly relevant to his current line of work.

In light of Vera standing by her decision to reject Louis’ applications in the past, perhaps Louis might feel a need to earn her approval and prove her wrong? Since his childhood he’s been overlooked by everyone around him, and he would probably feel a need to prove his worth somehow, especially since he has just been made an Auror and feels that he has been sidelined by his superiors because he was assigned to guard Hogwarts.

As for Integra (I’d just reply here for convenience)… I’m going to draw inspiration from my personal experience and those of my friends without further embellishments (quite honestly, none is required at all). So I sincerely hope I’m not going overboard with Integra methods :P

Unfortunately I’ll be a bit tied up with work for the next few days, but in the meantime I’ll mull over some ideas for a thread. Do you have a preference for which character you’d like Vera to RP with?

Return to “Shippers/Plotters”