Malachi Lee
Information Broker / Proprietor
Player: Jae

Business or Pleasure?

Post by Malachi Lee »

The Curious Chimaera, Knockturn Alley
November 2005

Of late, Mal had been toying with the idea of relinquishing his role as an information broker and focusing his full attention on the Curious Chimaera.

When he first picked up bartending, it was to him merely a means to an end. Barring the tightly-regulated Veritaserum, nothing loosened the tongue as well as alcohol and a sprinkling of ‘sincere and non-judgemental concern’. But as time passed, he grew to enjoy it, and even trained to become a proper barista to widen his repertoire of drinks to include non-alcoholic beverages. The exultation of seeing his patrons enjoying the drinks he prepared filled him with joy – not just his, but his patrons’ too, thanks to his natural Legilimency.

It was this pleasure that made the darkest days bearable, just like how some of his patrons looked forward to visiting the Curious Chimaera whenever they hit a rough patch. Still, this was but one side of the coin, one half of his raison d'être. Mal knew deep down in his heart that he would eventually regret it if he quit being an information broker. Comforting as his beverages were, they couldn’t bring about lasting change that would make the world a better place.

He was still lost in his thoughts when the gentle tinkling of the bell above the Chimaera’s entrance alerted him to the arrival of a customer. Putting aside his musings for the moment, he looked up and greeted the customer with a bright smile.
on the crooked path between the black and the grey, i found a glimmer of hope
Artemis Bane
Assassin
Assassin
Player: Felix

Post by Artemis Bane »

Blood on the hands of the innocent, although, according to Artemis Bane, the innocent didn't exist. Everyone is born with sin and bathes in it on a daily basis. Some just enjoy it more than others. A small smile crept across her face as she watched her 'client' place the last bit of coin in her hand before she turned a heel and scooted out their door. "Bloody moron." She muttered to herself.

The man who had hired her had wanted to scare his wife into remaining faithful. Too bad the poor bastard was too late. She had gone and slept with his boss. Although it was none of her business. She scared her enough to last three lifetimes and it wouldn't come back to her because she had a way of covering her tracks. Then again....once a cheater always a cheater. It wasn't like he was anymore faithful than his wife. It was a disgusting world they lived in.

Artemis was going to head home and after a long shower, take to sleeping. Her stomach had other plans. grruuuurrgggle. She groaned and shook her head as she gripped her stomach. "You can't be serious?" It growled again in protest. She had to give in.

She pushed open a door to a cafe and was greeted with an overly friendly face which almost made her turn around and leave again. Expect her stomach yelled again. She rolled her eyes and headed to the counter. "Best thing on the menu?"
Malachi Lee

Post by Malachi Lee »

Business or pleasure? Mal wondered as he laid eyes upon the customer: a blonde lady with piercing blue eyes and a certain confidence which seemed to suggest that she was afraid of neither trouble nor causing it. His smile was met by her aloof countenance as she marched straight towards the bar counter. Probably not pleasure then, he thought as he raised his guard and partially shielded his mind. Perhaps she was simply not a morning person, but it didn’t hurt to be cautious.

The reason behind her single-mindedness soon became apparent as she approached. He had initially suspected that her cold demeanour to be the result of a worry that weighed heavily on her mind, but his gut feeling told him otherwise. Quite literally in fact: thanks (or no thanks) to his natural Legilimency, he began to experience the unpleasant and all-too-familiar pangs of an empty stomach wringing in agony as his body mirrored her visceral discomfort.

Not business either, but a matter of survival, he concluded, concealing his amusement behind an amicable facade with practiced ease. This customer might not care for niceties, but as the owner of the establishment he had an image and reputation to uphold. Before he could open his mouth, the lady beat him to the punch and demanded for the ‘best thing on the menu’.

Direct and to the point. Fully abandoning any intentions to lighten the mood with some small talk, he wandlessly summoned the menu to his hand and laid it down before the customer. “If you’re looking for something hearty, may I recommend the all-day breakfasts?” he suggested. “You can’t go wrong with a full-English or its cousin from across the pond, the classic American breakfast with the works.” The two options he had just proposed were amongst the most popular items, but to Mal they were so much more than just that. They were representative of the various comforting foods that he had enjoyed when he was growing up – be it in the van with his family as they roamed around the world, or after he enrolled at Hogwarts and settled down in Britain – and thus he had designated them as the signature items on his café menu.

“If you’re craving something a little fancier, our eggs Benedict and eggs Florentine are quite well-received too,” he continued. “We’ve also recently introduced a limited-time special,”—he paused for a moment as he mentally rehearsed the correct pronunciation—“Bauernfrühstück.”

Normally he would go on to explain what Bauernfrühstück was: a traditional German breakfast that featured fried potatoes, eggs, cheese, bacon, onions and parsley. This time round, however, he prudently decided not to presume that she needed him to elaborate further. A hungry person was an angry person, and it would be best of he did not accidentally offend this particular customer.
Artemis Bane
Assassin
Assassin

Post by Artemis Bane »

Normally Artie didn't go out to eat. She would rather cook something at home and enjoy the company of herself and a good book. But today, she just didn't have the energy to go home cook and eat. So the cafe was the option she had, she wasn't a fan of the overly friendly face act, but she had to admit the smells of the cafe were wonderous and only making her more hungry.

She took in a deep breath and looked the man over that stood in front of her. Attractive man, not doing the fake smiling, which made her a little more comfortable. She quirked a brow as she looked at him. He seemed to be hungry as well. Artemis had become very good at reading people and she was wondering if maybe he hadn't had a break yet or maybe he didn't eat the food here. But that didn't seem likely.

Hearty sounded promising, but did she want to go bed with all that heavy food in stomach? She frowned a bit as she pondered the idea. They sounded amazing, but one she wouldn't finish it all and two, she would have to stay up a bit later to let some of the food settle before laying down. "I had....a long night at the office and I am trying to grab a bite before I go home and sleep. While the recommendations sound appealing I am afraid I'll be overly full and uncomfortable. Is there something a little lighter that is just as good but maybe would allow to me to sleep a few hours?"

Eggs sounded lovely. Light and not over heavy but full of protein to get her stomach to shut up. She nodded and looked down at the menu he was holding and pointed to the eggs flaurtine. "Now that sounds more like a breakfast I can get behind. At least for today. I may have to stop back a time or two to try the heartier options as well as the....." She slowed down the pronunciation to be sure she didn't mess it up either. "Bauernfrühstück. It all sounds simply devine."

She took a seat and a small smirk spread across her face. "Why don't you join me? You seem to be feeling the affects of hunger as well. Perhaps you should take a break and eat a bite as well. I wouldn't mind the company either...as long as you can hold an intelligent conversation, and you don't seem like a moron like the people I had to deal with earlier today." she motioned to the chair that was near her.
Malachi Lee

Post by Malachi Lee »

Mal might have missed the mark with his initial recommendation of the all-day breakfasts, but after the customer requested for something a little lighter, his second attempt was much more successful. She was keen on the eggs Florentine, and on top of that the Bauernfrühstück had piqued her interest. Perhaps, if she was satisfied with her meal, she might return another day.

“As humble as it may be, the Bauernfrühstück is proving to be quite a hit among out patrons.” With its classic combination of simple yet hearty ingredients, the comforting and homely breakfast was a natural recipe for success. Even then, Mal had underestimated its popularity. “In fact, we’re already thinking of making it a permanent item on our menu.”

The lady had earlier shared that she had just finished a long night of work; in light of that, the usual choices of morning beverages wouldn’t do. “Would you like a drink as well?” he asked, sliding the drink menu over to her. “Perhaps some chamomile, lavender or rooibos tea?” Rarely did he get the opportunity to recommend these bedtime teas; the Curious Chimaera did not operate as a café after sundown, and most patrons who came in during the day wanted something to perk themselves up, rather than help them sleep better.

Once the lady’s order was confirmed, Mal relayed it back to his staff in the kitchen. After taking her seat, she motioned to the empty chair close to her and invited him to join her because he seemed hungry too. Was it that obvious? Had his stomach growled, or did she somehow sense it from his closely guarded body language? For once Mal was none the wiser. The latter seemed unlikely… but he kept his guard up just in case.

The customer remarked that she wouldn’t mind his company if he could hold an intelligent conversation, and that he didn’t seem like a moron. It felt a tad arrogant and presumptuous… but knowing almost nothing about her, he did not deem it fair to judge her prematurely. Instead, he decided to give her the benefit of the doubt. “Sounds like you had a tough time, but you seem more than capable of holding your own against them,” Mal replied and moved over to the empty chair. From the corner of his gaze, he noticed that his staff in the kitchen was silently signalling to him that he would prepare some food for Mal, saving his employer the need to place his own order. “I’ll be honoured to keep you company.” With that, he took his seat. “The name’s Mal,” he said as he offered his hand. “I’m the owner of this establishment, and I hope I’ll be able to meet your expectations.”
Artemis Bane
Assassin
Assassin

Post by Artemis Bane »

If the breakfast was as good as it all sounded she would most definitely be back on another day when she could try more. But today it was about sleeping after a hard night's work. She wanted a full belly and perhaps an interesting conversation before sleep. It was all turning out in ber favor so far.

"Humble you say? Well, I could use a bit of humble in my life." she stated with a little laugh. It wasn't a lie, she was rather... confident in herself and perhaps being brought down a level or two would prove to be just what she needed. After all, those who get too cocky in their life often lose and she had been witness to that on several occasions. "Oh? Is it not now? Well then perhaps I would have to come back sooner rather than later to test it's deliciousness before it is removed."

A bit of relaxation visibly entered her body when he offered her some tea that would help calm her nerves and her body. "A cup of chamomile tea would be wonderful indeed." She offered an awkward sort of smile, it wasn't often that Artemis even smiled. It was a miracle that her facial muscles even remembered how to form such a thing.

Artemis spent years studying the human body and reactions. She was an excellent judge of character and could read most people like a book. However, this shopkeep was different, he was a little harder to read and that intrigued Artemis to no end. She had to get to know him better so she could learn how to read even the hardest of people.

Arrogance was a bit of an understatement for what Artemis was. She was a person who thought very high of herself and those around her to be meager lowlifes. Not that should ever outwardly admit to that, but referring back to the humbility, well she needed it badly. She nodded slightly and shrugged her shoulders. "Perhaps you're right. I could hold my own, however often times I find it rather troublesome." There was something missing from her job nowadays and that was the joy she used to get out of it. Now it was just another job that paid the bills.

"The pleasure is mine, Mal. I am Artemis and you have quite a fine establishment here." She was sure he could meet he expectations. He already was, she was rather interested in the man that sat across from her. She wanted to peel back the layers that hid whatever secrets he was hiding.
Malachi Lee

Post by Malachi Lee »

Mal chuckled when the lady laughed and said that she could afford to be a little humbler, but he didn’t comment any further. Without knowing enough about her background, it was not his place to say anything. As the subject shifted back to the Bauernfrühstück, she expressed a bit of surprise that it wasn’t a permanent item on the menu yet. “I’ve been told by the manager to wait a while longer,” he said with a helpless shrug. He had hired Sarah because of her sharp business acumen and her willingness to stand her ground if she felt that he had made a bad decision. And she repaid his kindness by running a tight ship and giving no quarter to anyone, not even Mal. “She said she’d have my hide if I jump the gun again. But don’t worry, it’ll still be available for quite a while. Besides I’m confident that it’ll be permanently added to the menu.”

While the customer accepted his drink recommendation, her smile seemed a bit awkward, as though it was something she rarely did. Wordlessly he filed away this observation for future reference; it was terribly strange to ask her about how she was really feeling based on an awkward smile, and indeed there were too many mundane reasons why someone would be generally unhappy with their life. If he wanted to do anything to make her feel better, it would be more appropriate for him to delight her with a good meal and help her feel comfortable and at ease here in his café.

“A beautiful and strong name,” Mal noted as the lady introduced herself as Artemis. “I’d say that your name suits you quite well.” Based on his impression of her thus far, she was quite attractive and seemed like a capable individual, and he wouldn’t be surprised if she turned out to be someone in a position of power. At the same time, there was something enigmatic about her that made her feel a little distant and aloof, almost like an ice queen. Maybe she really did have a secret or two to hide, and that possibility intrigued Mal. It might take a bit of time, but he was keen to find out more about her.

“Thank you for your kind words too,” he said with a genuine, sincere smile. While he wasn’t one to brag about his achievements, he was truly proud to be the owner of the Curious Chimaera. “I opened this place three years ago. Prior to that I had worked as a barista and bartender for quite a while, so I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to run a café or a bar.” He gave a little shrug: rather than picking one of the options, he had stubbornly went with the more difficult choice of pursuing both at the same time. “Call me indecisive, but in the end I went for a hybrid concept: it’s a café during the day, and a bar after sunset.”

“Feel free to drop by if you’re looking for a place to relax and unwind after work,” he continued. “Don’t be put off by the location – I know Knockturn Alley has a certain reputation, but in my opinion it’s just a little misunderstood.”

Just then, their food and drinks arrived – eggs Florentine and chamomile tea for Artemis, and Bauernfrühstück and a long black for Mal. “Bon appétit,” the staff said cheerfully with a bright smile and returned to his duties… but not before shooting a cheeky wink at his employer.

As Mal gazed upon the small cast iron pan full of potatoes, eggs, bacon and other ingredients, he couldn’t help but shake his head at how Daniel had deliberately picked something Artemis had indicated that she was keen on trying, instead of the classic American breakfast that Mal liked. “Seems like Daniel overheard what you said earlier,” he said as he indicated the food before him. “Since it's already here, would you like to try the Bauernfrühstück?”
Artemis Bane
Assassin
Assassin

Post by Artemis Bane »

If only Mal knew exactly how Artemis was, he would quite agree that she could stand to be humbled. However, it wasn't like she was going to give away all of her secrets to a man she had just met. To be quite frank she didn't give her secrets to anyone. She nodded at his comment about waiting a while longer before taking it off the menu. It meant she had time to stop by again after another late night to try the delicious-sounding dish. At the very least she would have time if it didn't get added to the menu permanently. "Sounds like you have quite the manager." She smiled admiring the managers' tenacity. But she had no worries, she knew that she would most likely be back before it was taken off, if it did end being removed from the menu at a later date.

A small smirk played on her lips as he commented on her name. Beautiful and strong. It was no lie that her name did fit her, however, her father gave it to her because he had wanted a boy, it was so he could call her Artie and feel more manly about the name. It was a rather stupid reason, but her father came to be quite proud of her as she excelled in all the things he required her to do. "I suppose it does. My father was a man of strong names and he was the one that picked it out. Although, I'm sure it was because he wanted a son instead of a daughter. But I can assure you, I am not exactly the most girly woman out there." She grinned and shrugged her shoulders. She had a lot to hid and not many people got to see the darker side of Artemis Bane, and if they were so unfortunate to see that side of her, most of the time they didn't live to tell anyone about it.

"Ah...well it all makes sense then. I think you have the best of both worlds here. I wouldn't mind stopping by during your later hours and grabbing a stronger drink either." She looked around the cafe and then her eyes settled back on Mal. "You have a steady clientele from what I can tell and I see no issues with running both if you know how to flip the switch after the sun goes down." Which it appeared he had no issues with, considering he had stated he had been up and running for three years now.

A throaty laugh escaped her lips as he brought up the fact that his location was in Knocturn Alley. "The location does not bother me one bit. In fact, there is a shop just down the street here that I frequent for a few ingredients that I use for potions that I make at home." There were several other places that she frequented in Knocturn Alley, but again, that was a secret she chose not to share at this point in time. Although, she was sure that he would figure it out eventually considering his shop was located in the alley.

"Ahh...Lovely. My stomach was just about to go into protest." She picked up her fork and raised it in response to the chef's Bon appetit. Her eyes traveled to Mal's plate and it did not get past Artemis that they had brought out the Bauernfrühstück for him. As if to entice her to come back again. "I see that. I am not opposed to trying it. It looks absolutely amazing." She picked up her teacup and took a small sip and the moan of delight followed the sip, approving the flavor of the tea. "So tell me, Mal, did you choose the location for your cafe on purpose or was it a 'only place' available kind of thing?"
Malachi Lee

Post by Malachi Lee »

The proprietor of the Curious Chimaera let out a chuckle as Artemis pointed out that Mal had quite the manager. That he did, but ultimately he was glad for Sarah’s presence. They were like chalk and cheese, but that was precisely why they made a great team.

His comment about Artemis’ name brought a small smirk to her lips, and while she agreed that her name fit her well, she said that her father, who had given her the name, had probably done so because he wanted a son instead of a daughter, and admitted to not being the most girly woman. “Not that it matters, does it?” Mal replied. “My conservative Asian grandparents used to say: ‘men don’t belong in the kitchen.’ They’d probably be livid to learn that it’s what I do for a living now. But I dare say we’ve both turned out fine nonetheless.” Despite what he had said, Mal didn’t think that he had turned out ‘fine’ per se, in light of what he had had to do as an information broker. He had at the very least felt that it might apply to Artemis, but without knowing what she did for a living, he had no way of telling how right or wrong he was.

As Artemis pointed out that the Curious Chimaera had no shortage of customers, Mal gave a half-nod. “I’d say we earn enough to stay afloat,” he remarked. “It’s not easy keeping the Chimaera open from dawn till after midnight. Operating costs rack up quickly, and manpower is always an issue.” That was why he needed someone like Sarah to stop the establishment from turning into a sinking ship. “But seeing the satisfied faces of our customers makes it all worth the effort,” he finished with a smile. Technically that was true, but as with most things Mal said, there was always something else he had chosen to keep hidden. In this case, it was the success of his side business, which the Chimaera served as its base of operations. Gathering and dealing in information to subtly nudge the fate of the world in the direction he wanted… that had always been his true agenda and his raison d'etre. And as much as he loved running the establishment, it was initially conceived as a means to an end, and thus would remain so for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps the most obvious clue that there was more to the Chimaera than met the eye was its location. When he spoke about it, Artemis laughed and shared that it didn’t bother her at all, and that she frequented one of the shops here. “If only more people were as open-minded as you. When we first opened, many parents didn’t want their children to patronise the café.” He allowed himself a helpless sigh as he thought about what things had been like back then. “It took a while before we managed to cement our reputation as a respectable place in a shady part of wizarding London.”

Their conversation was briefly interrupted by the arrival of their food and beverages, and he was heartened to see that the tea was up to Artemis’ standards, and that the Bauernfrühstück looked tempting enough. As the conversation resumed, Mal gave a shrug as he spoke. “It was an ‘only place’ kind of thing, although it’s not really a fair way to look at it.” He gestured towards his surroundings, indicating the airy interior, the high ceiling, and the long window looking out to Horizont Alley. “This corner shop is fairly large, and the footfall is good. Being near to Horizont Alley also helped to alleviate the concerns that our potential customers had about us being situated along Knockturn Alley too.” After taking a sip of his own beverage – a well-balanced cup of cappuccino – he continued. “I got really lucky, I’d say. This place is as good as it gets, and I really can’t ask for anything better.” For once he was telling the truth. Even if he had a few locations to pick from, this corner shop would easily have been his first choice.

“Well, that’s quite a lot about me,” Mal said. “I hope I didn’t bore you with all the details about this establishment.” With that, he attempted to turn the spotlight on his mysterious customer whom he still knew little about. “What about yourself?” he asked, keeping the question simple and vague so that Artemis could choose a topic to share about… provided she was keen to do so in the first place.

Return to “Archives”