Guide to Britishism

Ninclow

Guide to Britishism

Post by Ninclow »

This post is dedicated to British slang, colloquialisms and British-specific terms to help make the dialogue in threads and so on from witches and wizards who are supposed to be born into it feel more authentic. There's a more extensive list on the Harry Potter Wiki, but I figured we could make a smaller, more localised one here for easy access. If there are any actual Brits on the board or other members who has anything to add, or who feel a desperate need to correct me, feel free. Now, though, without further ado:

Alright? - Used as a greeting, in place of "Hello". An abbreviated form of "Are you alright?".

As well - Also, too. As in, "I'll have a butterbeer, and Crabbe will have one as well."

Barmy - mad, crazy, insane. e.g. "That Dumbledore really is barmy."

Bee's Knees, the - Something that is really impressive or good. (e.g. Hermione Granger's OWL results were the bee's knees.)

Blast! - usually an exclamation of surprise or anger. E.g. “Blast! And I would have gotten away with it, if it weren’t for those meddling kids!” said Lucius.

Bleeding - Used a bit like "bloody", and one you might see used as "not bleeding likely" or, "that bleeding Dementor attacked me!" Not exactly for use in polite company, and not meant as a descriptive term!

Bloody - one of Ron Weasley's favourite words, and one of the most useful not-quite-a-swear words in the English language. Used as an exclamation, i.e. "Bloody hell"; or to emphasise something, e.g. "bloody awful", "bloody amazing", "bloody gorgeous", etc.

Bogey/booger - er... green, nasty, and generally a word used by children. Notice how Harry and co. used this word in the first 3 or 4 books, and not a lot thereafter?

Bum - another somewhat childish term, to mean one's backside or derriere.

Chat up - trying to pick someone up! E.g. "Ron Weasley tried to chat up Fleur Delacour once. It didn't end well."

Chips - French Fried potatoes. Not the thinly sliced deep fried kind. 

Chuffed - Really pleased or happy with something.

Crisps - A snack made from thin slices of deep-fried potato; potato chips (US)

Cupboard - an enclosed storage area, usually with shelves, and a door; closet (US) in Scotland and Ireland this is usually referred to as a "press".

Dear - If something is dear it means it is expensive. E.g. The new Firebolts were very dear.

Dodgy - If someone or something is a bit dodgy, it is not to be trusted. Dodgy food should be thrown away at home, or sent back in a restaurant. Dodgy people are best avoided. You never know what they are up to. Dodgy goods may have been stolen. Dodgy takeaway food will usually give you a sick tummy.

Dog's dinner - A real mess! E.g. Hogwarts was a dog's dinner after Voldemort's attack.

Donkey's years - Usually used thusly, "I haven't seen you in donkey's years!" It means someone hasn't seen you in ages.

Dull - boring or unappealing. Usually used to describe people, films and/or books. Ron might use this phrase to describe his History of Magic class.

Engaged - No, not strictly to do with sparkly diamond rings! This can mean that the phone line is tied up, "I tried to call the takeaway, but the phone is engaged." It can also mean that a lock, as in on a door, is locked. "The lock is engaged"

Faff or Faffing Around - To mess around and generally procrastinate. The phrase "fannying about" can also be used. Also, fanny may mean buttocks in the States, but is really quite an unpleasant word in Ireland and the UK!

Fagging - Fagging is the practice of making new boys at boarding schools into slaves for the older boys. Nothing perverse! I'm surprised this practice wasn't mentioned in the Harry Potter books, to be honest.

Fancy - A desire for something, or want. E.g. I fancy some cake. Is also frequently used to mean you like someone, e.g. "Ron fancies Hermione Granger"

Fit - This is an adjective, which is often used to describe someone who is good looking. "Draco Malfoy is fit!"

Fortnight - Two weeks, an abbreviation of fourteen nights.

Full of beans - Full of energy. A good phrase to use to describe the Weasley twins.

Gander - Not just a male goose. It means to have a look at something, or a look around. "Let's have a gander around Honeydukes"

Get lost! - A ruder way of telling someone to go away.

Git - An unpleasant person

Gormless - Unfortunately, a phrase I would use to describe Neville and Ron early on in the books. It means clueless.

Grub - Food. Often seen outside pubs selling "Pub Grub". And no, not insect larvae!

Gutted - Really upset. E.g. "Lavender Brown was gutted when she and Ron broke up"

Hard - means tough or intimidating. You'd say some big muscular bloke looked hard, or you might think you're hard after 10 pints.

Her Majesty's Pleasure - Not one really used in the HP universe, but it means you're imprisoned with no release date. Usually said, "Detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure".

Jammy - Lucky

Jolly - usually means very, as in, "jolly good". Is often used as, "I should jolly well think so!"

Jumper - a sweater or pullover. This can be worn by men and women of all ages. Mrs. Weasley makes jumpers for each of her children every Christmas.

Kip - A short sleep, or 40 winks. Can also mean a very rundown place. e.g. "I took a room in the Hog's Head to get a bit of a kip. Shame the pub itself is a bit of a kip."

Leg it! - An expression meaning to run for it! Usually used by kids when they're caught doing something they shouldn't.

Lurgy - When you have the lurgy it means you're ill, or you have the flu. Luna's Loser's Lurgy seems quite funny when looked at as an illness.

Mate - friend, pal.

Nice one! - Used when someone has done a particularly good job at something. I said, "Nice one!" when Malfoy broke Harry's nose in Halfblood Prince.

Nick - Steal. Nicked, stolen.

Off colour - pale and unwell looking.

Pants - Really rubbish or bad. Quite the young person's phrase, not really used by the older generation. "That Quidditch match was pants."

Pear shaped - If it's all gone pear shaped, it means it's become a bit of a disaster. Fleur and Bill's wedding went a bit pear shaped when the Death Eaters showed up.

Posh - Roughly translates as high class. Comes from the cabins used by the upper class on early voyages from England to India. The coolest (and most expensive cabins) were Port side on the way Out and Starboard on the way Home.

Puke - vomit

Pull, on the - Going out looking for someone to snog, or maybe more.

Quid - a pound. You can also say five quid, ten quid, and so on. Only really applicable for those familiar with the Muggle world.

Quite - Absolutely! (When used on it's own) E.g. "That Voldemort is a right pillock," said Cornelius. "Quite," said Dumbledore.

Right - very, but only in certain contexts. "I'm right tired!" for example.

Round - When it's your round in the pub, it's your turn to buy the drinks.

Sack - To be sacked means you're fired. Trelawney was sacked by Umbridge in Order of the Phoenix.

Sad - Usually means pathetic. Officially means sad, as in Image
Jae

Post by Jae »

Just adding on a few random and more interesting words and phrases that I know to the list. I'm not from the UK, so do correct me if there are any errors.

Expletives and Insults and Negative Words

Chuffing (Northern England) – Used for emphasis (similar to 'bleeding', or as a mild expletive. You can also tell someone to "chuff off".

Muppet – A stupid person.

Shite – A more British way of saying 'shit'.

Being Drunk

Shitfaced – Drunk.

Hammered – Drunk.

Trolleyed – Also means drunk.

Plastered – Still means drunk.

Steamboated (Scotland) – You should know what this means by now. Seems to me that you could just grab a random noun, put '–ed' at the end, and it might actually mean 'drunk'.

Pissed/wasted/sloshed/smashed – Drunk.

Nouns

Bog – Toilet. The phrase 'bog-standard' means basic (e.g. a bog-standard car).

Butty (Northern England/Australia/New Zealand) – Sandwich. Examples include the chip butty.

Fizzy drink – A soft drink. In Northern England, "pop" is used. In Scotland, such drinks are called "juice".

Lad – A boy or a young man. Also, to be laddish is to behave like a stereotypical young man (eg. noisy, energetic, boisterous).

Piece (Scotland) – Also means sandwich.

Summat – Something.

Telly – Television.

Verbs

Bray (Yorkshire) – To hit someone.

Faff about/faff around – To waste time doing nothing useful.

Adjectives

Dreich (Scotland) – (Of weather) being dreary and bleak, e.g. "dreich day".

Jiggered/knackered – Very tired.

Mardy (Northern England) – To be in a bad mood.

Nithered (Northern England/Scotland) – To feel very cold.

Radge (Northern England/Scotland) – Angry or uncontrollable.

Rank (Scotland) – Disgusting, repulsive.

Right (Yorkshire) – Very, really.

Phrases and Expressions

"Cheers, drive" (Bristol) – Something you say to the bus driver to thank them when you alight.

"Innit" – Extremely versatile word. Originated as a slang form of "isn't it", and it can be used to sidestep grammatical rules (e.g. "These taste great, innit?" instead of "These taste great, don't they?"). Also can be appended to the end of a sentence to seek agreement or support for one's argument.

"Sorry" – What British people say when someone else bumps into them.

"You make a better door than a window" (Yorkshire) – A way of telling someone that they are blocking your view because they're opaque like a door instead of transparent like a window.

"Your bum's out the window" (or as they would say it in Scotland: "Yer bum's oot the windae") – You're talking nonsense.
Ninclow

Post by Ninclow »

Nice! :-D
Fox

Post by Fox »

loo: toilet
biscuit: cookie
fag: cigarette
snog: penetrating kiss / tonsil hockey
night cap: an alcoholic drink before bed
football: soccer

technology not really relevant to the Wizarding World: