Keeping the Ducks in a Row [Closed]

Nathaniel Wright
7th Year | Prefect | Keeper
Player: Nova

Keeping the Ducks in a Row [Closed]

Post by Nathaniel Wright »

Nathaniel stepped into the main part of the Ravenclaw common room and looked around to see who was present.

His presence in the room tended to have a rather immediate effect. He was known for being strict, known for enforcing the rules, and somewhat berating people who didn't give enough effort into their studies- by his own standards. There were a few first years who had already suffered his wrath, and they ducked their heads as if to avoid his sharp stare. Some of the students closer to his own age offered tentative greetings, but they still tried to give him a wide berth.

Nathaniel didn't seem satiated with this response though, his eyes seeming to lock in on the things people were doing. Some cards and stones slipped out of view, but the ones playing chess knew they were safe, though they avoided eye contact in case he decided to critique their gameplay as he was sometimes wont to do.

"I certainly hope those who are wasting time aren't about to embarrass Ravenclaw with anything less than their best in classes," he said, his voice easily heard across the silent room, "If I find out you're in here playing games and you lose us points in class, it will not be the teachers you have to fear," he said before starting to walk out of the room, leaving some grumbling students in his wake, several getting up and slumping out of the room towards the great hall.

In the great hall, the only people who sat directly around him were his siblings, also Ravenclaws. His brother was writing a letter from the three of them back to their youngest sister, though Oliver tended to fudge things a little to make them both fantastical but not too much to make Lucy jealous.
"If you keep glaring at everyone, Nate, how are you ever going to get a girlfriend?" Rachel said before taking a bite of her food.
Nathaniel rolled his eyes, "As if that's hardly an actual concern," he said, shaking his head, reading over a newspaper that Helios had brought him. The owl, as fluffy as he was, was sitting in Nathaniel's lap, not planning on going back to the owlery yet.
"Sure it is," Rachel scoffed a little at him, "Who knows what people will think and say if you stay completely single?" she shook her head.
"Maybe it's not a girl he wants,"Oliver smirked and Rachel laughed a little.
"Oh right, how rude of me not to consider it," she taunted Nathaniel, but he just rolled his eyes again and flipped the page of his paper.
"Spend more time eating and less time trying to rile me."
If you approach every problem with a logical mindset and a determined spirit, there's nothing that can't be overcome.
Trent Innes
7th Year
7th Year
Player: kim

Post by Trent Innes »

Wanting to get back to studying for his Arithmancy test, Trent had finished breakfast early and had already left the Slytherin table. He was nearly through the double doors into the Entrance Hall when Simone rushed in, late for breakfast. Trent nodded in greeting and tried to skirt around her, but she grabbed onto his wrist.

"Keep me company while I eat," she demanded.

Trent hesitated for a moment. He really didn't feel like spending time with her right now; ever since he had turned her down for the Hogsmeade trip she had been rather frosty with him. On the other hand, joining her for dinner was a small indulgence that required little effort on his part. Nodding once without saying anything, Trent followed Simone to the Ravenclaw table, where she took her usual seat. The table was empty except for three other Ravenclaws, one of whom Trent recognized as his classmate and fellow seventh-year, Nathaniel Wright.

Taking a seat next to Simone, Trent faced the opposite direction with his back against the table and his legs facing the door; it would be easier to make an exit if the conversation turned dull or hostile. Though her initial body language suggested the latter, Simone relaxed as she ate, and soon she was talking animatedly about rumours of a winter solstice ball.

"Right. Well, I've gotta get to the library," Trent cut in before she could continue on that dangerous subject; he did not dance, nor did he have any interest in taking her to one.

"Wait," Simone said. "I'm out of Firewhisky already. Can you get me another bottle?"

"You're seventeen now," he replied coolly. As a year older, Trent used to supply Simone with alcohol, but he no longer saw any need to do so now that she was of age herself. "Get it yourself."

"Ugh," she scoffed at his reminder; he had missed or (more likely) ignored what she was really asking him to do. "We just had a Hogsmeade weekend. Remember? You didn't want to go with me?" She paused, and when Trent didn't comment, she rolled her eyes and continued. "Who knows when there will be another?"

"So, mail order it."

"That'll take too long. Can you sneak into Hogsmeade and get me a bottle?"

Trent did not answer right away but stared off towards the door to the Entrance Hall with his jaw clenched. Her voice was beginning to take on a whining tone, and he wanted to leave before it got worse. On the other hand, he was planning on going into Hogsmeade soon anyway, and she was not as good at evading the Aurors as he was. He still needed to study for that test, but it might be worth his while to make up with Simone. "Yeah," he answered without emotion, still not looking at her. "Later tonight."
Nathaniel Wright

Nathaniel was focused on his newspaper when Simone and Trent sat at the table, not thinking to pay them much mind, though Rachel was definitely eyeing them. Rachel looked away when the conversation went inane, focusing back on the conversation with Oliver across the table, but when Simone asked for Firewhiskey, all three Wright siblings lifted their heads.

"Are you daft?" Rachel scoffed, shaking her head, "Talking about doing something against school rules in front of a prefect?"
"Getting started early on your future life choices? Don't see how someone so oblivious is in Ravenclaw," Oliver scoffed as well, giving Simone a less-than-impressed look.
"Not to mention you having no spine to deny her," Rachel added to Trent, snorting.
"Enough you two," Nathaniel said as he stood, setting the paper down, and straightening out his robes, "I have a feeling these two don't care much for the rules as they've had no consequences to teach them to do so," he said, looking between Trent and Simone, "Or you just think you're smarter than your betters to never get caught, hence why you're talking about it so openly," he said, giving a look that said he highly doubted that, "Do we need to have a sweep of the dorms then? To look for all the contraband? I can get with the other prefects and have it arranged. Especially if I take this to a professor."

While he was no idiot to assume that no one ever broke the rules, he couldn't stand people who were so blatant about it. To think they were so special that there were no consequences or costs for their choices. He could sometimes overlook things, especially if it was a show of one's wits and was done well, as it was a part of the house's preferred qualities, he would not tolerate it being flaunted in his face so idiotically. He could salvage some of their house points if he handled it as opposed to someone else seeing and tattling, as he had a feeling if she was willing to talk about it so openly, there were plenty who knew she had it...
If you approach every problem with a logical mindset and a determined spirit, there's nothing that can't be overcome.
Trent Innes
7th Year
7th Year

Post by Trent Innes »

Both Trent and Simone turned their heads at Rachel's words, and though Simone's eyes widened, Trent remained quite unperturbed as he looked at the trio. Rachel had a point; it had been foolish to have this conversation with a Prefect so nearby, but Trent hadn't realized that they had been speaking loudly enough to be overheard. In any case, it wasn't the first time that he had gotten in trouble with a Prefect, and it wouldn't be the last. In fact, getting caught might even be a blessing in disguise; Trent had more important things to do than sneak into Hogsmeade for Simone, and perhaps this would keep her from asking him again.

When Trent did not react to Rachel and Oliver's goading words, Simone leaned forward to whisper in Trent's ear. As a Ravenclaw, she knew much more about Wright's reputation than Trent did, but he dismissed her warning with an infinitesimal shake of his head and did not reply. He looked entirely unbothered as he sat there, impatient to receive whatever punishment Wright wanted to dispense. He just wanted to continue with his plans that Simone had interrupted by dragging him back into the Great Hall.

When Wright finally joined the conversation, his insults and threats had the corners of Trent's lips twitching with a smile. "I didn’t realize you were a nosy fucker," Trent replied evenly, his face smooth. Simone gripped his arm tightly in warning, but Trent simply pried her fingers off and turned away from her; Wright's pomposity was far too amusing to ignore. "Are your friends so boring that you have to listen in on other people's conversations?"
Nathaniel Wright

Nathaniel put his hands in the pockets of his trousers as Trent replied, but looked around with a brow raised when he finished, "I'm sorry, was there someone here you hoped to offend with such a trivial statement?" he scoffed, "I suppose I'll just be letting the head of your house know you're sneaking off in an all too obvious manner to get things that shouldn't be on campus. I know neither of our houses exactly prides itself on being the best behaved, but we're supposed to be the more intelligent when it comes to these kinds of things. As old as the two of you are, you really ought to know better," he shook his head, "And it's not a matter of being so bored that I have to listen in, but rather you speak so loudly that people who really shouldn't be aware of your bad choices become so," he looked at Simone with that part.

"The question then remains what punishment I'm going to recommend the head of our houses inflict on you for your stupidity and arrogance," he hummed a bit, tilting his head, "Especially since I just warned my own house about their behavior this morning, about not embarrassing us. To lose the house cup because of losing points to stupid, obvious behaviors is truly unacceptable. What do you think?" he looked to Simone as he moved closer to where the two were seated, "What punishment fits your crime?" he quirked a brow, expecting her to think about it before she said anything, to give him a response that fit, "And don't go galavanting away thinking because I'm a Ravenclaw prefect that you're off the hook. I don't believe the Slytherin prefect likes their house doing stupid things either."
Trent Innes
7th Year
7th Year

Post by Trent Innes »

Still turned towards Wright, Trent leaned back against the table, resting on his elbows. His body language and expression were both casual, but his eyes danced with amusement as Wright carried on portentously, as though his authority over Trent was supposed to be intimidating. Trent said nothing at all during the speech, his lips pressed firmly together to keep himself from laughing at the absurdity of the situation.

Silence fell as Wright stopped speaking and Trent waited a beat to see if he was finally done. "You really love the sound of your own voice," was all he said, and then his light tone and expression darkened slightly. "But I'm getting bored, so can you stop with the threats and just get on with it?"

"He doesn't mean that," Simone interrupted quickly. She shot Trent a pleading look that took almost all of his efforts not to roll his eyes at. True to his word, however, he was not interested in arguing with either of them any further and he did not reply.
Nathaniel Wright

"And what exactly will you do if I don't?" Nathaniel arched a brow, noting the tone and expression change, "Are you actually going to exert the effort to do something?" he said, not seeming to have heard Simone.
"You'd best stay out of it," Rachel said to Simone, "You're already in enough trouble. Especially if he finds evidence of you breaking the rules later," she shook her head.
"I'm sure you find me to be pompous, but I assure you, the feeling is mutual. You clearly think quite highly of yourself," Nathaniel shifted so that he was standing directly across from him, "Except I don't feel the need to be desperate for attention by breaking the rules." He gave a tight smile that most Ravenclaws would know was him being at his angriest. It usually did not go well for whoever was on the other end of that anger.
Trent Innes
7th Year
7th Year

Post by Trent Innes »

"Well, I'm not going to sit here all night and listen to you," Trent answered, a laugh finally escaping through his mask of indifference. At Rachel's interjectjon, Trent turned to look at her with an expression of mild derision on his face. "I'm sorry - how does this concern you, exactly?" he asked her. "Or are Ravenclaws incapable of minding their own business?"

At these words, Simone smacked his shoulder, angry that he was not only ignoring all of her warnings to not provoke Wright, but that he also insulted her, as a Ravenclaw, in the process.

It didn't hurt much, but Trent had finally had enough of Simone now, and perhaps forever. Standing up, to get away from her, Trent walked the few feet towards the trio of Ravenclaws, though he was tempted to leave altogether; he was already in trouble and Professor Fah knew where to find him. Why should he listen to a Prefect exert authority over him just for the sake of his own ego?

Ignoring the dig about seeking attention by breaking the rules, which couldn't be further from reality, Trent sat down with a sigh, still facing the exit and leaving little doubt that he was losing patience.
Nathaniel Wright

"Hardly, I was trying to do your friend a favor," Rachel scoffed, shaking her head, "Since you're so keen on continuing to step further into trouble," she muttered, returning to her breakfast.
Nathaniel turned his attention back to Simone, "Do I need to tell you where you need to find yourself? Or do you actually have the wherewithal to remember that much?" he said, narrowing his eyes at her. To have a fellow Ravenclaw behaving in such a fashion was unbelievable-
"Nate, is it necessary to bite everyone's head off before we've finished breakfast?" a slightly more light-hearted voice cut into the action and Nate sighed as a flash of red was in his peripheral. Nova slid into the bench by Trent, like she was being a buffer between the boys, "You're just mad it was said out loud, stop acting quite so high and mighty."
"Nova. This doesn't concern you," Nathaniel muttered, "Do not call me Nate," he added, an important thing needing to be said.
"Sure it does. My classmates are bickering, and who better to intervene?" Nova smiled in a sweet way that said plenty.
Nathaniel grunted and shook his head. He turned and walked back towards his spot, "Professor Fah will be hearing about this," he said, his temper seeming diffused.
Nova watched him go sit back down, "Oh? If that's the case, do you mind if I steal Trent here? Got some new designs I want to try for guys-" Nathaniel waved her off and Nova grinned. She knew he hated when she prattled about fashion, "Fabulous," she said and stood up, tugging on Trent's arm, "Off we go then," she said, maintaining her eagerness, though she was really just trying to get him away from Nathaniel. After having classes with Nathaniel for so long, she'd more or less figured out how to handle him, and he more or less decided he didn't want to start with her. She might have been a Hufflepuff, but she knew how to win the mind games in a Slytherin fashion. He threw them a disparaging look though, mostly towards Trent.
"You're just letting him go?" Oliver looked at his brother in surprise.
"It's the professors who dole punishments, little boy, not the prefects, so he can't really hold him," Nova said, that same smile on her face.
"Leave it, Oliver," Nathaniel muttered, annoyed. He gave Trent one last glower before picking up his newspaper once more.
Trent Innes
7th Year
7th Year

Post by Trent Innes »

While he still believed that Rachel should have minded her own business, Trent felt a twinge of guilt for his sharpness towards her. As his and Simone's "relationship" was only one of convenience, he had no idea who her friends were, but it would explain why Simone had been so stupid to ask for the Firewhisky in the presence of a Prefect; perhaps she thought her friendship with Rachel would keep her out of trouble. Trent opened his mouth to apologize to Rachel, but remembering her earlier remark when she had called him spineless, he chuckled instead in quiet admiration of her boldness. She returned to her breakfast, and Trent looked away with only a little remorse and with a mental note to be nicer to her if they ever met again.

At Wright's orders, Simone got up from the table and marched off (presumably) to Ravenclaw Tower. As she passed, Simone kept her chin held high in the air to make a point of her ignoring Trent, who smiled to himself; their "break up" would be an easy one. If one good thing came from her not being able to keep her mouth shut, it would be the catalyst for Trent to realize he was finished with her. Trent shifted in his seat, feeling his dismissal was imminent when a familiar voice cut in. Trent looked up to see his old friend Nova Harte slide between him and Wright. "Hey," he said in a bored tone.

As he felt that anything he had to say to Wright at this point would only make things worse, Trent did not contribute any further as Nova attempted to diffuse the situation. He tuned them both out, and though he caught several disparaging looks from Wright, he was not paying enough attention to understand what, if anything, they meant. It wasn't until he felt a tugging on his arm that the conversation came back into focus and he realized that he was now finally free to go. Without so much of a glance at Wright, Trent stood up and followed Nova out of the Great Hall.

"Where are we going?" he asked his friend warily. While he was grateful that she had intervened on his behalf, Nova had a habit of forcing her fashion creations on him, and Trent was not particularly in the mood to play dress-up today, even if he owed her one.
Nova Harte
7th Year | Prefect
7th Year | Prefect

Post by Nova Harte »

"Oh I don't know, I just said all that to get him to let us leave," Nova looked at him, "You decide. You seem like you're feelin' a little cranky," she smirked a little, poking his arm, "So what can we do to boost your mood?" she smiled more fully and crossed her arms behind her back. She wouldn't deny she wanted to get him to try on the newest design of dress robes she'd come up with, something very classy, a blend of classics and the modern muggle's suit jacket, but she knew when and where was a good time to suggest such a thing.

"And I'm basing the cranky comment on you picking a fight with Wright knowing he's only going to come at you harder if you challenge him, especially when it comes to the rules," she said, giving a look that kind of said "What did you expect?" but didn't say it aloud, "I won't make you talk about it, you know that, buuuut I've always been rather keen on doing what I can to improve your mood," she laughed a little, "So lay it on me. What's on the docket?"
I won't conform to fit anyone else's mold.
Trent Innes
7th Year
7th Year

Post by Trent Innes »

By their seventh year at Hogwarts, Nova had come to know Trent fairly well and she was one of the few people, if not the only person, who could read the real mood behind his veil of indifference. He was silent as he considered her accusation of being cranky, and then the corners of his lips turned up into a half smile. Sometimes, Trent felt she understood his emotions better than he did himself. "I'm fine now," he said honestly. There was no point in lying to Nova; she could tell when Trent wasn't willing to disclose, and she never pushed him to, either.

"I'm not worried about Wright," he said dismissively. "I didn't set out to pick a fight with him, but his overinflated ego was too amusing to ignore." While Trent was always respectful to his superiors, he couldn't see Prefects in the same way that he saw professors. To him, Prefects were little more than glorified tattletales and as Wright had already threatened to involve Professor Fah, Trent failed to see any harm in rising to provocation. "Thanks, by the way. It was fun, but I was ready to get out of there."

As Trent pushed open the double oak doors that led into the Entrance Hall, he wondered vaguely when his punishment would come. By now, Wright would have had plenty of time to approach the staff table and inform the Head of Slytherin, but Trent was certain that Professor Fah would not be chasing him down right now. It wasn't really her style, and it was more likely that she would lull him into a false sense of security. It wouldn’t be until he had forgotten all about it, that she’d make him shed the dead layers off of a Chinese Chomping Cabbage.

"There's no mood to improve," Trent said distractedly, looking to the Grand Staircase that would take him to the library, where he had been heading before this whole debacle. "Actually, I'm feeling great. Simone was getting on my nerves more so than Wright, but..." he trailed off as he replayed everything that had just transpired. "It made me realize that I should have broken up with her ages ago." Even knowing he would soon be injured by whatever deadly plant Professor Fah sprang on him, Trent could see the silver lining. "Right, I need to study," he admitted grimly, realizing that he actually would prefer to play model to Nova's designs than to cram for his Arithmancy test tomorrow. Professor Sigma had warned that it would be difficult, and Trent had only just gotten caught up on his homework last night. "I'll see you tomorrow, all right?"

Return to “Archives”