Potion Problems [Closed]

Laguna Lestrange
6th Year | Seeker | Captain
Player: Laggylestrange

Potion Problems [Closed]

Post by Laguna Lestrange »

"Damn it!" The set of piercing blue eyes glared down upon the cauldron before him, brows frustrated, frown apparent, and his usually very well groomed hair a mess. This was to be a simple potion, or so he thought. Perhaps it was the lack of peaceful dreams that was causing his struggles, yes...he just wasn't as mentally alert as usual. "I'm not leaving here until I get this bloody thing right." The stubborn determination that he often faced was either going to make him amount to something great or be his downfall in the grand scheme. Up to this point it had worked out in his favor and as far as he was concerned it would continue to do so.

He scanned the room and let out a breath of air. At least the dungeons were peaceful while nobody else was down here. No explosions from improperly mixing ingredients, no whispers of the latest rumors floating around school. Just him and the cauldron. The bubbling light purple concoction before him was the only sound in the classroom. He was certain everyone else was probably off in the Great Hall having dinner, but what he needed more than anything was a peaceful night of sleep. That meant the nightmares needed to be pushed from his mind, as they had been increasing steadily over the last couple of weeks.

"Come on Lestrange." He mumbled to himself as he looked at the ingredients scattered on the workspace--wormwood, lavender, mistletoe berries, Billywig stings....which was it he needed again? He looked to the ingredient list below that was now covered in the light purple brew and sighed.
Anwen Sawyer
6th Year | Prefect | Seeker
Player: Felix

Post by Anwen Sawyer »

One of Anwen's better subjects was potions, it went along with Herbology and she wanted to go into that field after graduation. So she made sure that they both were on her top list to keep up in studies on them. It was why she was getting to class early enough to work on some potions she had been trying to perfect. She knew that the book took a scientific stance on the matter, and it wasn't always the best way to arrive at the perfect potion. Upon entering the room, she heard some rather strong words coming from one of the cauldrons and she frowned slightly. Someone was having an issue getting to the place they wanted to be with their concoction. She made her way quietly through the classroom and arrived at her own cauldron before setting her stuff down quietly.

It wasn't far off from where Laguna was standing and while she knew of him, she didn't really know him that well. So breaking his concentration and saying hello wasn't exactly in the cards. She had stopped by the Great Hall for a bite to eat, but most of what was being served was pork this, chicken that, and Anwen did not partake in the eating of animals. Instead, she grabbed an apple and left the Great Hall for a bit of study time. She did glance over at his potion and knew right away what he was trying to make. She frowned a bit and felt terrible that he apparently hadn't been getting much sleep if he was making a sleeping drought.

She couldn't help but look at his ingredients on the table and frown slightly. She wasn't sure if she should help or not. But she knew if it was dire then maybe he would want help. "E-excuse me...I don't mean to bother you, but have you already crushed your 4 sprigs of lavender with two measures of the standard ingredient? I don't mean to be rude...I just...Never mind, I'm sorry." She turned back to her own work and started crushing up her own ingredients.
Laguna Lestrange

In his half-exhausted, half concentration he hadn’t notice that anyone entered the room with him. He was still staring hopelessly at his potion and the ingredients unsure of where he’d gone wrong. “Shouldn’t be this difficult…” he mumbled under his breath. The truth of the matter was that he typically wasn’t bad in potions, just lately he felt like he was losing grip of most things. This was probably more of a matter of him getting in his own head than anything, but as many students knew, having the proper mentality was something that could impact you significantly. He recalled last year when one of the fourth years got their robes singed because they were doodling and daydreaming when their partner knocked over a vial that burned right through the material.

When Anwen spoke, he looked up with surprise. “Oh, sorry I didn’t realize anyone else had come in…” he quickly scrambled to clean up the massive mess he’d made, knocking a few vials over in the process. His cheeks flushed, “I’m not usually this clumsy,” he said, defending the fact that he was making a bad situation even worse. He sighed lightly and bent down to pick up the vials.

“I guess I didn’t see the part where the lavender needed to be crushed,” he replied, looking over to her again. He didn’t really know much about her, but he did see her in class and around school pretty frequently. Sometimes he found it astounding how little he knew of people he was in classes with for years now. “I haven’t ever made a potion like this.”
Anwen Sawyer

Post by Anwen Sawyer »

Anwen could tell by looking at the boy that he was utterly exhausted. She just wanted to be able to help him. She knew what it was like to not be able to sleep and she wouldn't wish that on anyone. She frowned slightly when he kept speaking about it not being that hard or difficult. It could be rather unbearable when one was so overly tired that their brain was in shut down. She could remember times when there were students who would nod off in class, or she herself hadn't slept for several days at home and she didn't feel up to anything or wasn't performing at her best either. She knew what it was like and would never look down upon someone who was struggling no matter what their issue at hand was.

She smiled and let out a small giggle. "It's alright, I was trying to be as quiet as possible so I didn't disturb you while you were trying to make, a sleeping draught yes?" She perked a brow and looked over at his work. He was scrambling to clean up his mess and she laughed a little more. "It's alright, you don't have to rush to clean up, we make messes sometimes when we are working on great things." When he knocked over the vials she walked over and gently placed her hand on his arm. "Hey, it's okay. There's no need to rush about."

She nodded and looked down at his potion. "If you'd like, I could help you make it. I know it can be rather difficult when your brain won't focus on one thing or another. Sometimes we just need that extra hand." She smiled sweetly at him. It was alright that he didn't remember her, she had a tendency to blend into the walls of the school. Most people didn't know who she was, granted she had a few friends, or at least she thought they were her friends. However, she really only had maybe two good friends in the school. Most people looked past her as if she was wearing an invisibility cloak. "Oh, I've made this one a time or two, I'm guessing you're struggling with sleep? Or perhaps a friend is struggling?"
Laguna Lestrange

"You didn't disturb me at all." He nodded to her question as he scrambled around to clean up the mess, "Yes, but who knows what /that/ would actually do to anyone who dares to drink it at this point." Her giggle caused him to glance up in her direction briefly, a smile threatening to emerge for the first time since he'd entered the classroom. But then there were the vials scattering on the floor and as he went to gather them back up, he heard her laugh a little more which was the cue he needed to lighten up a little. It was when she placed her hand on his arm that he couldn't help but give a light laugh at himself and how ridiculous he must look. "I'm just a bit of a mess, eh?" He joked, slowing down his movements upon her encouragement that he could slow down and just, well, breathe.

Once he exercised more patience, he was able to place everything back into its rightful spot on the table. No more messes. No more clumsy accidents. Maybe knowing that someone else was in the room just had him more alert. Then again, he thought part of his sudden ease was due to the extreme kindness she'd showed despite all that she'd just witnessed. Of course, she was a Hufflepuff. They were kind to everyone. That was his understanding at least.

"Really? Are you sure?" He motioned to her own spot, "I wouldn't want to interrupt whatever you came in here to do." But inside his head, he knew he could use some help on this. He returned her smile and then folded his arms, leaning against the table as they talked, "It's just been a bit of a challenge the last couple of weeks." At the mention of a friend struggling, he wondered if Nautica could use some of this too. That is, if Anwen could salvage the mess he made. "You've made it before? Do you think there's any salvaging this? Or am I better off just starting fresh." A sheepish grin navigated its way onto his face as he looked in her direction.
Anwen Sawyer

Post by Anwen Sawyer »

She smiled at him brightly and nodded. "Good, I'm glad I didn't disturb you. I didn't want to be a bother, I just...I saw the look of worry on your face and thought maybe you could use a friend?" She looked down at the potion and crinkled her nose. "Sorry to say, but I think it's a lost cause...I could use my ingredients though, to help you make a new one. That way you don't have to use more of yours." He almost smiled and she couldn't help but think he needed someone to cheer him up. Well, it was a good thing she happened by then. She was all about cheering people up when they were down. She wouldn't want someone to feel lost on their own.

When he stated that he was a bit of a mess she sort of smirked and shrugged her shoulders. "Maybe just a bit. It's okay though, we all have those moments." She knew that she had moments like that as well, where she rushed things, or when she was overwhelmed with things that felt like the world was against her. It was a horrid feeling and she wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

After he started to slow and calm himself she let out a sigh of relief. It was good that he was heeding her advice. Yes, she was a Hufflepuff, but she had always been kind. Even when her brother was a jerk to her, she always showed him kindness and love. Not to mention, it was her experience that not all Hufflepuffs were nice. Most yes, but not all.

She smiled brightly again and nodded quickly. "Of course I'm sure! You're not interrupting anything, I honestly just came in to practice a bit. This will be perfect practice. I can work on mastering the sleeping draught." And help a friend in the process. At last, he smiled at her and she nodded. "I can completely understand that. I'm sorry you've been going through that. If you ever need...I mean a friend to talk to, I could be your ears. Don't worry, I don't spread rumors or secrets." But he was the captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team so he probably had plenty of friends already. "But, you probably already have a lot of friends." She almost looked sad for a moment before wiping it away quickly. She wasn't her for her own troubles. She smiled again and looked at the potion. "Mm...No, sorry but this is scrap." She frowned a bit. "If you want it to work to its full potential we will have to start from scratch. But that's completely okay! I can teach you how to do it and then you'll have the knowledge for next time you may need it!"
Laguna Lestrange

"Well thank you for coming to my rescue," he replied, before laughing at her analysis of his disaster of a potion. "That is a very fair decision." At this point, the liquid was definitely not the correct color and even he, in his state of exhaustion, could see that. With that, he decided it was time to stop the heat as the last thing he wanted was to continue boiling and then cause some sort of explosion or something. "Really? You want to help me?" He seemed surprised by this. "You...do know who I am, right?" As far as he knew, he was fairly unpopular in the Hufflepuff house as the family reputation and the Hufflepuff values mixed about as well as his potion just did.

Laguna took the opportunity to study her for a moment before the conversation continued on. Her smirk amused him when she acknowledged the disheveled state he was in. "I suppose we do." Though if he'd admitted that in front of his father he knew that the reaction would not be so forgiving as it was critical to never show any sign of weakness. Typically he actually agreed with the sentiment. Perhaps it was just the state of mind that allowed him to be so dismissive about it for the time being.

"Well, in that case, I'm happy to give you the extra practice." It was a relief that someone who had experience with this sort of potion would be taking the lead on the effort. "Master away," he offered. He shrugged off the sympathy, though inside he felt like it was nice to have someone who validated that he could feel this way. As she spoke, he continued to study her curiously, "A friend?"

Silently he pondered the offer and then he nodded, "We could all use more friends." He answered, smiling at her. "Friends it is." His gaze followed her own and he just nodded, eyebrows raising in agreement. "And some of us could also use more teachers. So," he sighed. "Lets get this lesson started, shall we?"
Anwen Sawyer

Post by Anwen Sawyer »

She laughed along with him and shrugged her shoulders. "It's no trouble really." She scoffed a bit and nodded her head at his question. "Laguna Lestrange, Yes I am well aware of who you are. I don't see how that has anything to do with this...with me helping you." Where he came from and who his family was had no weight on her being friends with him, or helping him. Coming a family didn't automatically make you a bad person. She wasn't the type of person to judge someone before getting to know them. "You're also a brilliant Quidditch player and the captain of the Gryffindor team since first year. Yes, I am well aware of who you are." She smiled sweetly at him and looked down at the cauldron. "Evanesco." She waved her wand and the potion within vanished.

"Don't worry, a good night's sleep should help with that. We all get a little over-exhausted sometimes." She knew all about families and not disappointing them. She did that on a regular. She was much different from her family in what goals she had set in her life. None of them understood what she wanted to do or why she wanted to be an herbologist.

She laughed once more and grabbed the mortar and pestle. She tossed the lavender into the mortar and started crushing the leaves of the plant. Her eyes snapped up when he questioned the comment of friends. "I uh...yes, you probably have a lot of friends, but I don't know...sometimes we need another?"

Her face brightened when he agreed and she nodded. "Friends." She thrust her hand into his space, offering a handshake. She smiled once more. "I'll teach you as much as I can. As long as you're a willing student." She nodded and passed the mortar and pestle over to him. "Crush it and add two measurements of the standard ingredient, then you'll crush until you get a creamy texture."
Laguna Lestrange

When she told him she was well aware of who he was, he perked a brow up and then had the faintest little smirk on his face. As much as he would like to think he was grounded, he had to admit he enjoyed some of the attention that came along with his name and the leverage it gave him to establish himself among his peers. There were both pros and cons to being one of the longest-standing wizarding families around. The last bit of her statement was one that caught him just a little off guard, but that was a fair point she was making. "I...suppose it has nothing to do with that."

The compliments to his quidditch abilities were enough to turn the hint of a smirk into a confident, proud grin. "You're not so bad yourself," he said, giving her his version of a compliment on her seeking skills. "You're quick in the pitch." His gaze moved from Anwen down to the cauldron as the horrid looking potion vanished.

A little exhausted was an understatement, but she had no clue what was haunting him. Speaking of haunting, he quickly glanced over his shoulder and around the classroom for any signs of his other self. So far, so good. "Yeah, between classes and practices and everything else, it's a lot." He wondered how many classes they shared now that he was beginning to become more aware of seeing her around school.

Laguna looked toward Anwen out of the corner of his eye, amused by the way she approached the topic of friendship. His gaze shifted down to her offered hand and he turned toward her, taking her hand and shaking on it. "I'm always willing to improve," he replied. That bit was true. Mostly due to his competitive nature. Even in situations that were not necessarily competitive. Flaw? Depended on who you asked, but in his mind it was an admirable quality to have. When she passed the mortar and pestle to him, he did as she instructed and measured out the ingredient before starting to crush it up.

"Besides, it seems I've got a more than capable teacher now," he joked. "Maybe after this you'll be able to teach me about some other potions that will come in handy." He was already considering some potions that would be entertaining to use on Zeke in particular.
Anwen Sawyer

Post by Anwen Sawyer »

He thought that the reason she knew who he was, was due to his name. But wasn't the name that he carried, it wasn't where he came from. She knew Laguna due to who he was, the name he made for himself here, at Hogwarts. His skill on the pitch and the kind of person he had become despite his family. "No, it doesn't. I'm not helping you because of your family name, Laguna. I'm helping you because you're a good person and you have shown that several times. We are who want to be by the choices we make on our own. Despite influence."

His compliment made her cheeks flush slightly and she looked down and away from Launga. "I....uh...Thanks." She smiled and looked back at the now-empty cauldron. "There, now we can start from scratch without any effects from the previous potion."

She knew a little about what he spoke of. The fact that they had a lot on their plate. He had classes, practice, and whatever else he did in his 'free' time. Anwen had her duties as a prefect, classes, studying, and the other side projects she had taken on. "I think I understand a little of what you're going through. But no worries, after we finish this potion you can get some real rest. Without your mind trying to keep you awake." She had laid down some nights with her mind racing and it kept her awake for hours.

She shook his hand and smiled up at him as he shook it as well. "My mind sometimes keeps me awake." He was always willing to improve. He sounded a lot like she did. She was always willing to take up more knowledge and learn from the world around her. "That's good. We could always use improvement. No matter how it takes shape." She watched him crush up the ingredient and saw it was close as it started to become the paste it was meant to be.

Another compliment and her face turned a light shade of red once more. "Yes, well I...I just want to help." She grinned and nodded at his next comment. "I would love to help you learn all of the potions, well at least the ones I know. You could always join the potions club too. They work on potions that aren't yet taught in class and perfect the ones that are."

Return to “Archives”