A Journey of Self-Discovery (Nigel)

The various offices of Hogwarts staff and Aurors. Each office will be in a different location and decorated to the individual’s taste. Every office has chambers attached or nearby that serve as private living quarters.
Martin Bishop
5th Year
5th Year
Player: Fox

A Journey of Self-Discovery (Nigel)

Post by Martin Bishop »

This thread follows A Ravenclaw's Ambitions

Sometime in mid-October, Martin returned to Prof. Dextera's office on a Thursday evening. He wasn't dressed in his Hogwarts robes, but instead a pair of pajamas and slippers. This was beyond unusual for him, as he rarely appeared under-dressed, but he had a purpose in mind.

"Hello sir, are you free?", he inquired. It was one of the days Prof. Dextera had said he'd be most available, but he could be in the middle of grading or something else for all Martin knew, and he didn't want to impose.

After being invited in, he took a seat, setting two notebooks in his lap. The one on top was clearly the scrapbook Dextera had loaned him. "I've been pouring over your animagus notes for the past month...I can't thank you enough, because I've found the material you compiled to be very insightful and thorough. I did come up with a few questions, but I managed to answer them by re-reading your notes and going through what few materials I could find on the subject in the library. Of the different known methods for discovering one's own animagus form, the one that I find most intriguing is the guided meditation method, and I was wondering if you could coach me through that? I brewed one of the recommended potions for inducing a relaxed state to make the experience more likely to succeed." He then retrieved a small vial from a pocket and held it up. "I understand this might take several attempts, and I might have to try a different method."
Nigel Dextera
Transfiguration | Head of Hufflepuff
Transfiguration | Head of Hufflepuff
Player: Jae

Post by Nigel Dextera »

Homework was a stress-inducing thing, not just for students but for teachers too.

Nigel massaged his temples before picking up his quill again. The essay before him was… a catastrophe. The first sentence was already fraught with errors, and as he was about to correct them, he realised what a Herculean task it would be, possibly even bordering on Sisyphean. It would take more than some handwritten comments to correct the student’s fundamental misunderstanding of the subject.

Deciding that an extra lesson was in order, he checked his calendar for any suitable time slots, just as a sudden but welcome interruption alerted him to the presence of a student outside his office. “Come in,” he said, thankful that he now had a valid reason to put aside the stack of essays for the time being. He’d tackle his work again later tonight after he renewed his focus with a mug of strong tea.

The student turned out to be Martin Bishop, an aspiring Animagi and Occlumens under his tutelage, and as such one of the students who had his explicit permission to drop by at his office as and when they needed any help. “Good to see you again, Mr Bishop,” he greeted the student, noting the boy’s uncharacteristic and unusual attire with a curious raise of an eyebrow. “What brings you here today?” he asked, even though he could already guess the reason why; the question was more of an invitation for Martin to speak his mind.

As Martin spoke, Nigel listened and nodded. “It’s heartening to hear that you managed to deduce the answers yourself,” he replied, giving credit where it was due. “Well done, and keep up the good work. Nevertheless, should you feel unsure about anything, feel free to approach me.”

“And now, on the topic of the guided meditation… this is where things get a little complicated.” This was the first major roadblock that most of his students faced, and for good reason. “Despite being one of the most precise branches of magic, certain aspects of Transfiguration, such as Animagus Transfiguration, are much more… nebulous in certain ways. Nonetheless, as with all other types of Transfiguration, you must hold in your mind a clear image of the intended result before you attempt to transform into your Animagus form.”

He paused briefly, giving Martin some time to digest what he had said before continuing. “Likewise for the process of gleaning insights into what your Animagus form might be: you must hold on to something in your mind as you search for answers within yourself. The obvious question is, of course, how one would know what that something is when you don’t even know what it is that you seek.” And once more he paused, letting Martin take a stab at solving the conundrum.
running back to where we once were like the circling hands of a clock, but the sands of time have since slipped through our fingers

Return to “Offices”