The Burdens of Being a Student

Located on the first floor, the library is where staff, students, and Aurors can peruse or check out books. With a quiet atmosphere and plenty of tables and chairs, the library is a popular study area. It is well-guarded by Aurors, who silently patrol up and down the stacks.
Juniper Kyteler
5th Year
5th Year
Player: candlewhisperer

The Burdens of Being a Student

Post by Juniper Kyteler »

Juniper entered the library quickly, looking rather frazzled. When heads turned to look at the girl who had suddenly burst in to the still and quiet room, she slowed her pace and took a couple deep breaths in, she hadn’t meant to disturb the studious atmosphere. She had woken up late despite having a rigorous study plan for the day. The fifth year Slytherin had gone home for a weekend recently, at the request of her father as relatives were visiting from out of the country. It was a dreary time and she had gotten behind on her homework, especially Potions. Today was supposed to be her most productive day to get caught up but so far it wasn’t turning out that way. It had started with a restless sleep last night. She never slept well the first night back after a visit home, her nerves often still on edge from the stress of being around her father. The auroras on her way to the library also did not help the situation. She resented the looks they gave her. Certainly, her family leaned towards the darker side of magic but she herself had never dabbled in dark magic, nor did she have anything to do with any notorious dark wizards. Normally Juniper could ignore the aurors but today the looks bristled. Sitting down in a huff at one of the long tables, she inhaled deeply and began pulling out her supplies from her schoolbag. After placing her books, quills, and inkpot down, she took in her surroundings, giving nods to the few Slytherins and Ravenclaws around her that she knew. Honestly, she didn’t know many people, Juniper was introverted, a bit shy but mostly she just preferred her own company. Finally, she turned her attention to her books wondering where in Merlin’s name should she start. Bringing her left hand up to her mouth she began to bite her nails before catching herself, quietly she cursed under her breath and sat on her hands while she thought of gameplan to tackle her homework.
“Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.”
Seraphina MacGregor
5th Year
5th Year
Player: Nova

Post by Seraphina MacGregor »

With little to no ceremony, a Ravenclaw plopped herself down at the table where Juniper had seated herself, pulling out her supplies as well before smiling, "Hello there! Dinnae mind aw these sticks in the mud, a library's a place fur learnin', no' fur judgin' someone wha clearly feels the need tae study," she said as she nosely took a peek across, "Oh, I see ye're catchin' up on the wark. D'ye need some help? I'll be mair than happy tae!" she beamed at her, bouncing a little in her seat. There were a few giggles from a nearby table, but the noise seemed non-existent to Sera who then thought to introduce herself, "Oh! I dinnae ken if ye recognise me. I'm a fellow fifth year. Seraphina MacGregor. Though ye can ca' me Sera."

She extended a hand to shake, still beaming away. Perhaps on the most extroverted Ravenclaws of her year, but she wore that badge proudly, "I can offer ye some tutorin' if ye need it, but I dinnae want tae mak' assumptions. I just retain knowledge kinda easy."
Through the threads of magic and reality, I weave my own tapestry of understanding.
Juniper Kyteler
5th Year
5th Year

Juniper looked up from her books as a Ravenclaw girl sat down by her. She stared at the Ravenclaw as it settled in that the girl was speaking to her, she hadn’t sat down mistaking her for someone else. Juniper smiled at Seraphina as she spoke. The giggles from a nearby table only made Juniper grin more. Clearly this Ravenclaw was very sociable, not at all what the Slytherin was used to. Neither of the girls houses were known for being particularly carefree so Seraphina was a bit of an oddity for Juniper, it was refreshing. “Hello Sera, I’m Juniper Kyteler. Nice to meet you.”, Juniper replied, taking the Ravenclaws hand, giving it a shake and then releasing it, hoping that Sera wouldn’t notice her short, obviously bitten nails. She had definitely seen this girl around, she was extroverted enough to make an impression, but she didn’t know her really.

Juniper achieved good grades most of the time, although she had to work hard to get those grades and lately for some reason her grades had been slipping. Glancing down at her homework, Juniper frowned, it would be ridiculous to turn down help from a Ravenclaw, “somehow, I have managed to get very behind on my homework, I suppose I could use some help. I’m having trouble remembering the ingredients for a Strengthening Solution.” She looked back up at Sera and smiled, “Although, I don’t want to interfere with your own work.”
“Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.”
Seraphina MacGregor
5th Year
5th Year

When Juniper shook her hand, Sera almost seemed to grin even wider than before, "Oh, it's nae bother at all! Admittedly, potions isnae ma best class, mostly 'cause I want tae try different things than what's in the lessons an' I dinnae think in the box well, but I ken the recipe. Also, I hae a guid wee charm tae help find it. Want tae ken what it is?" she didn't wait to get an answer, grinning as she grabbed her potions book. Thinking on the solution they were needing the ingredients, she gave her wand a little flick saying, "Findomara."

Her wand gave a little glow as the book popped open softly, the pages quickly flipping until it got to a certain page. The ingredients they needed were glowing on the page like they were highlighted. Sera grinned at it working, "I've conjured up this wee charm, ye see, tae help me find things I need in textbooks. It's quite handy, especially when ye're crunched for time or cannae find that one bit o' information ye desperately need. Saves a lot o' leafing through pages, it does!"
Through the threads of magic and reality, I weave my own tapestry of understanding.
Juniper Kyteler
5th Year
5th Year

Juniper’s eyebrows raised as she watched Sera perform her charm and saw the words begin to glow, “Blimey, that’s a grand charm. Could you teach me that some time? I’m constantly leafing through so many darn pages, sometimes my fingers end up hurting. Oh, and what page is that?” She picked up her textbook to turn to the page.

The fifth year Slytherin was happy she had accepted Sera’s help, she was obviously rather brilliant and nice as well, unique from the other Ravenclaws Juniper had met. She was already taking a liking to Sera despite having just met her, she enjoyed her accent and appreciated her guidance. Despite being in her fifth year, Juniper didn’t have many friends…none actually. She had acquaintances, people she would participate in a bit of small talk with and nod to in the hallways, but no one to really talk to, no one to spend any significant time with. Normally she just read her fantasy novels or flew around on her broom keeping to herself, which her father constantly berated her about. Maybe this summer she would be able to return home with news that she had actually made a friend.
Seraphina MacGregor
5th Year
5th Year

"Aye, I'd be mair than chuffed tae teach ye," Sera replied with a warmth that lit up her face. "It's nae sae tricky once ye get the knack of it. And this," she gestured towards the book with a grin, "is on page 394."

"Dinnae worry yersel' aboot interferin' wi' ma studies," she added, shaking her head, "Helpin' ye isnae a hindrance tae ma ain learnin'. Actually, it's quite the boon. It affords me the opportunity tae practice the spell even mair, and teachin' ye helps tae cement whit I ken in ma ain mind. It's as if, by teachin' ye, I'm learnin' it aw ower again masel'."

She tapped her finger on the table for a moment, giving Juniper a chance to find it for herself before adding, "If ye're up for a wee bit o' quid pro quo, maybe ye could help me learn how tae actually mak' the potion? I can find ony recipe easy enough, but makin' them's a different story," she laughed, shaking her head before holding her hand out again, "If ye help me tae ken it, I'll teach ye Findomara. Deal?"

Return to “Library”