Morning Blues - Sept 1999 - [Reserved: Dorian Innes]

A place to RP threads that take place outside of the current timeline, such as character backstories.
Selah Innes
Muggle Liaison Office
Muggle Liaison Office
Player: Grim

Morning Blues - Sept 1999 - [Reserved: Dorian Innes]

Post by Selah Innes »

It was the smell of fresh coffee that drew her from sleep, she never needed an alarm so long as the coffee maker was set to go off at the right time. Waking up the first thing Selah did was to unconsciously roll to her right, an attempt to get at least a few minutes of quiet cuddles from Dorian before he caught the coffee smell too. But when her arm laid on empty bed her brain kicked back on, ’Right… night shift at the school.’ Huffing into the blankets absently she rolled back over and climbed out of bed, taking the few moments to make her side back up.

Glancing around the barely illuminated bedroom she sighed, it was too quiet she didn’t like it. Normally the softness and quiet of the mornings was her favorite time of day, when both of their bristles had been settled with sleep and there were a few soft stolen moments. Wandering into the bathroom she brushed her teeth and showered quickly, wrapping herself in her robe and her hair in a towel despite having it braided and kept relatively dry. She wanted the static out of it before she unbraided it, so she made her way to the kitchen to get her cup of coffee.

Filling up her favorite mug with the scalding hot liquid all she needed was a little addition of sugar before she took a tentative sip followed by a content sigh. She’d been looked at as odd more than once for not taking cream in her coffee or her tea, but it was just how she’d gotten used to drinking both hot drinks. She thanked her Grandfather mostly for that, he was the one who’d taught her how to properly drink tea and insisted coffee was no different. Gazing around the dimly lit space the empty and quiet was slightly unnerving for her, she wasn’t used to it alone.

But they were doing good things, weren’t they? Dorian was doing what he should have been doing from the start being an Auror which she honestly was so proud of him for, despite all the fights over it. Of course with school reopening that meant the Auror’s were in need and somehow he kept ending up with the night shift. While she wouldn’t outwardly complain she certainly didn’t like the changes that had come with it, especially the disruption of their morning routine.

Even Cailleach could tell, giving a soft little chirp from her perch near her favorite window that the house didn’t quite feel right. Wandering over Selah gave her a few little soft kisses to her head and pets, “Good morning sweetheart. Yeah it’s weird… but hopefully it won’t be the new normal permanently.” Giving her another kiss to two she giggled as the owl shook and ruffled her feathers before settling again. Making her way back into the kitchen she took a few more sips of her coffee before the clock chimed softly from the sitting room, time to get ready for work.

Setting it down on the counter she mentally made a promise to be back for the rest of it before she headed back towards the bathroom, the hair had to be tamed first before anything else otherwise she’d end up with hair all over her clothes. Taking it out of the braid she carefully unbound it and grabbed the paddle brush she normally used. It would strip the faint waves from the braid out but it would smooth them some and she absently glanced back into the bedroom space turning on the music with a little wave of her hand. She preferred using small things to practice her wandless magic, then at least if it messed up it wasn’t a catastrophic loss; thankfully she hadn’t blown up the stereo yet.

With the music playing it took a little of the uncomfortable silence away and she went about fixing her hair making sure it was professional but comfortable for her to wear all day. A noise drew her attention briefly and she paused, sort of leaning some to listen towards the direction she’d thought it came from, Selah couldn’t tell if it was the door or just Cailleach changing perches. Shaking her head absently she adjusted her robe and went back to focusing on the little bit of makeup she wore daily, which was probably considered just enhancing her best features instead of a full face like most would have done.
Decide carefully, exactly what you want in life, then work like mad to make sure you get it!
Dorian Innes
Auror
Auror
Player: kim

Post by Dorian Innes »

With a soft pop, Dorian appeared out of thin air directly onto the top step just outside the front door of the London townhouse he shared with his wife. It wasn't easy to land in such a precise location, and there had been a few times at the beginning when both he and Selah had lost their balance. Having lived here for over a year by now, Dorian and Selah had had many opportunities to get it right and it was now like second nature. Dorian knew that all of the defensive magic and security measures that he had put on their home were most likely overkill, but after growing up with Aurors (and one himself now), it was a hard habit to break.

As he walked into the front hall, Dorian was immediately hit with the smell of fresh coffee and he moaned in anticipation; he had just worked a double shift at Hogwarts and had not slept for over twenty-four hours. It had been a very long day, and he was exhausted but in good spirits; it had been worth it to be there for Hogwart's official re-opening and the start of the 1999-2000 school year after spending months preparing the castle for it. Hoping to find Selah where the coffee was, Dorian headed into the kitchen, wearily kicking his boots off on the way there and draping his cloak over the post at the bottom of the stairs.

Selah was not in the kitchen, and though the smell of coffee was hard to resist, Dorian turned around and headed upstairs. She would be leaving for work soon and wouldn't be home until he had to leave for his next shift at Hogwarts, and the few moments he could spend with her were more important than coffee right now. As Dorian walked up the stairs, he heard music coming from their bedroom and smiled; he had been worried that he had missed her, but this proved that she was still home and getting ready. "It's me," he announced himself as he opened the bedroom door. Still not spotting her, Dorian crossed the room and entered the ensuite bathroom. Her back was to him as he applied her makeup, but catching her eyes in the mirror, Dorian broke out into a wide smile. Striding towards his wife, Dorian stood behind her and wrapped his arms around her. "Good morning," he said, kissing her neck a few times before looking back up to see her expression in the mirror. "How has your sleep been without my snoring in your ear all week?
my cave is deep now, yet your light is shining through / i cover my eyes, still all i see is you
Selah Innes
Muggle Liaison Office
Muggle Liaison Office

Post by Selah Innes »

The sound of his voice before she even saw him brought a smile to her face. When he did finally appear in the mirror behind her Selah couldn’t help her smile widening to match his own as he approached while she finished up her mascara. Just in time too when he leaned in, pressing those kisses to her neck, causing her to lean her head off to the side a little. “Morning, but are we sure it isn’t good evening for you?” He looked exhausted.

She could clearly see it and even with her pride in his effort at work it made her worry for him. Putting the little tube away she was essentially done aside from some lip balm given she didn’t wear much makeup at all unless it was a formal event. Meeting his gaze in the mirror she giggled at his question, “Oh I recorded you… I play it on repeat. It helps some but of course it doesn’t help with the lack of anyone stealing all my blankets.”

If he could tease so could she, shifting around his arms she wrapped her own around his neck letting her fingers card through his hair drawing it back from his face. Drawing him down closer she bumped the tip of her nose against his lightly before giving him a little kiss and hugged herself to him tight for a moment, laying her cheek against his chest and closing her eyes. ”All joking aside it’s lonely waking up without you…” She genuinely wasn’t trying to make him feel bad, she just wanted him to know that his presence had been missed.

It felt important to her to make sure he knew he was missed and wanted there, given how unwelcome and unwanted she’d so often felt in what was supposed to have been her own home growing up. Lifting her head finally she smiled softly up at him, “I thought you might be hungry so I reheated some dinner for you and of course coffee is still hot.” Though she seriously doubted he needed coffee right now, truth be told he probably needed food and their bed in short order. Whether Dorian did or not was entirely another matter, but at the moment she was just happy he was home again.

Reluctantly letting him go she stepped back, “I’d better get dressed for work, won’t do to be late when I’ve been such a model employee.” He would know by her tone alone it was pure sarcasm, she was only a model employee because there were so few employees in her department to begin with. It wasn’t the most desirable job, it was something you had to want to do and given her own history Selah would have chosen nothing else.
Decide carefully, exactly what you want in life, then work like mad to make sure you get it!
Dorian Innes
Auror
Auror

Post by Dorian Innes »

"Yeah, but it's more like good night," Dorian replied, his lips still on her neck as he breathed in her scent. He pulled back and began to rub her shoulders, smirking at her reflection in the mirror as she teased him about his annoying (but hopefully endearing) sleeping habits. "Shall I enchant the blanket so it steals itself periodically throughout the night?" he quipped sarcastically, his eyes alight with playfulness. Not wanting her to misread his expression and potentially spoil their good moods, Dorian swooped down to kiss her neck again in a way that usually caused her to giggle as his beard tickled her.

Selah turned to face him, and Dorian looked down at her, holding her gaze until she brought her hands to his face to pull his hair away. The sensation of her fingers in his hair made him sleepy, and he closed his eyes, swaying slightly on the spot. She pulled him down closer until he could feel her breath on his face, and then her lips on his. He steadied himself, and returned her a tight hug, pulling her hard against his body as he deepened the kiss until they broke apart and she spoke. Smiling, Dorian bowed his head, tucking his chin into her hair. "It's lonely going to bed without you," he said softly in return, kissing the top of her head as she held her face against his chest.

At the mention of hot coffee downstairs, the feelings of drowsiness Dorian had felt before returned in full force. "Thanks," he said with a yawn. "I smelled it when I first got home, but I wanted to come up and see you first," he explained. "I’m very happy to see that you aren't dressed yet, by the way," he added with a devilish grin. Dorian had been missing their usual morning routine, when he would sleep until she came out of the shower, after which he would lay in bed and watch her get ready for work, sometimes succeeding in getting her back in bed with him. Lately, however, Dorian hadn't even been getting home until she was almost ready to go, and he wondered if part of the reason she stayed in her robe so long in the mornings was more for his benefit than hers.

Just thinking about their usual morning routine had Dorian momentarily forgetting his exhaustion again. As she pulled away from him to get dressed for work, Dorian grabbed her hands and pulled her back to him. "Hmmmm," he said in a playful drawl, untieing the sash to her bathrobe. "Are you sure I can't persuade you to be late? What I have in mind won't mess up your hair or makeup…."
Selah Innes
Muggle Liaison Office
Muggle Liaison Office

Post by Selah Innes »

It was nice just the softness of it all in the mornings, even if their usual routine was completely off. Selah actually sort of missed watching him just lay in bed while she busied about until he ultimately either got up or tried and usually succeeded in convincing her to come back to bed. She almost thought she’d managed it until he was grabbing her hands drawing her back towards him before his hands broke away immediately going for the sash of her bathrobe.

“Oh I seriously doubt that, Dorian…” Keeping the smile off her lips was nigh impossible though looking up at him as she tried to draw back but couldn’t entirely knowing very well if she did it would untie her bathrobe completely. “...in fact I seem to recall you being the very reason my hair and makeup often become a mess.” This was half the fun of their time together though, their banter. And she had missed it.

She hadn’t missed how his eyes had fluttered with sleep when she’d run her fingers through his hair earlier so she went out on a limb reaching up and doing so again, carding her fingers through his hair she giggled softly. “It wasn’t precisely intentional though I am glad it makes you happy, I was just moving a little slow this morning.” Staring up at him she smiled, unable to help it. He was adorable when he was playful and given the fact he was sleepy too it was almost even more so.

Glancing past him at the clock on the nightstand she took note of the time before her gaze shifted back to him and she unconsciously licked her lips, “I suppose I could apparate to work, though I haven’t done that in quite a while…” Letting her hands slip from his hair she wrapped her arms around his neck, “...but you are gonna have to make it worth my while.

Looking past him once more she shifted her attention back to him giving him a cheeky smile, “Tick, tock…”
Dorian Innes
Auror
Auror

Post by Dorian Innes »

"Well, you can't blame me for getting carried away," Dorian said with a smirk as he held onto the sash to Selah's bathrobe, making it impossible for her to withdraw. "Sometimes," he clarified, with teasing emphasis; they both knew it was far more often that he ruined her hair and makeup before work. Using the sash as lead, Dorian pulled Selah closer to him, but as if to test his level of exhaustion, she ran her fingers through his hair again. Wanting to prove himself willing and ready, Dorian fought and failed to keep his eyes open.

Giving into the sensation again, Dorian's eyes fluttered closed again and he loosened his grip on her sash. "It does make me happy," he replied, his words coming out in a sleepy mumble in spite of his attempts to keep himself alert. Dorian opened his eyes again to see Selah staring up at him, and the sight filled him with longing and a hint of melancholy. He wanted more time with her, not just this morning; he was beginning to feel the strain his schedule had put on their marriage.

So much had happened since Dorian had started working at Hogwarts, but he hadn't shared it with Selah yet. Anytime he pressed his lips together to keep himself from answering her questions, Dorian was reminded of the beginning of their relationship when he struggled to let her in and hoped he wasn't falling back on his old habits. Dorian had opened up back then, and he promised himself he would again -- just not yet. With what little time they had together, Dorian hated to ruin it with difficult conversation; it was much easier to put on a brave face and hide behind flirty banter.

As if reading his thoughts about running out of time, Selah leaned back to look at something behind him. Knowing it was the clock, and expecting her to pull away to get ready for work, Dorian was surprised when she put her arms around his neck and offered to stay... if he made it worth her while, that is.

Immediately, Dorian was grinning widely and pulling her in for a kiss and feeling himself harden against her. He didn’t waste time in parting her lips with his tongue as he walked them backwards towards the bed. Only breaking the kiss when they reached the bed, Dorian sat at the edge but held onto Selah's waist to keep her standing in front of him. He parted her bathrobe enough to expose her naked body, but he kept it in place as he leaned forward to kiss her bare stomach. In doing so, he couldn't help but catch sight of the clock himself. Dorian kept his lips on her stomach as he groaned, "I haven't showered yet. And I want to take my time with you." He pulled back to look up at her. "What time will you be home tonight?"
my cave is deep now, yet your light is shining through / i cover my eyes, still all i see is you
Selah Innes
Muggle Liaison Office
Muggle Liaison Office

Post by Selah Innes »

Return to “The Time Turner”