A Meeting of the Minds [Laguna]

While a Hogwarts student can find all they need in Diagon Alley, magical adults may need to venture just around the corner into Knockturn Alley, a dark, twisting alleyway devoted to the Dark Arts. Located at the junction of Knockturn and Horizont Alleys is The Curious Chimaera, a quaint hybrid café/bar that is popular among Aurors.
Alic
Jack-of-all-trades
Jack-of-all-trades
Player: Nova

A Meeting of the Minds [Laguna]

Post by Alic »

Alic stepped out from the bustling streets of Diagon Alley into the darker, almost colder, space that was Knockturn Alley. Today he had a special appointment, a meeting he couldn't miss. He hadn't been around here much since he parted ways with Malachi- when they found they could no longer see eye-to-eye, but it didn't mean he wasn't still busy. What he planned needed a lot of manpower and a lot of power in general. He was finding his way across the wider wizarding world, finding allies in all sorts of places.

He stepped into a shop, looked around, and gave the owner a look, "When Lestrange arrives, send him to me," he said. The owner nodded, and Alic turned and walked toward the back of the store. There he tapped on the wall with his wand and murmured a word. As he did, a door started to appear. As he waited for it to finish materializing, the owner was ushering the customers out. Most of Knockturn Alley was already on Alic's side, knew what this meeting was likely about, and knew better than to be in his way. While Alic promised to try and reshape the wizarding world, he did not like people who overstepped their bounds with him. He kept them all at arm's length after what he felt was a betrayal from Malachi.

When the door finished, he opened it and stepped into an office. It was dimly lit by candles that sprang to life as he entered, with a dark oak desk opposite a fireplace that currently was not filled with a flame. It wasn't the season for that kind of thing. He sat down at his desk and pulled out a journal, opening it and beginning to look over some papers while he waited for his guest to arrive.
From the depths of injustice, rises the strength of change.
Ludwig Lestrange
Businessman
Businessman
Player: Laggylestrange

Post by Ludwig Lestrange »

His travels took him all over, to the darkest parts of the world at times, but there was a familiarity to Knockturn Alley that always called him back to it. Of course, he preferred the majority of his...business partners...to be local and what better meeting grounds than Knockturn? Tonight, though, was different from most other nights and most other meetings that he held. As much as he worked to maintain the glory of the Lestrange name, in recent times that was more trying. There was a fall after the Dark Lord was defeated and time had demanded a grueling task to win back the riches and persuasion that the old family name once had. It was well on its way, thanks to Ludwig. Tonight, though, would put all of these efforts into high acceleration for the Lestrange family.

Alic reaching out when he did seemed like a sign. Things were on the uphill for Ludwig and his family, and he was well aware of the sudden sway that Alic had over many in the wizarding world. It seemed natural that a man of such would seek out allies that would aid his rise to power and the Lestrange family could provide both influence and wealth that would prove useful. In turn, Alic would be able to further Ludwig's personal ambitions as well. It was a mutually beneficial alliance and surely they would both benefit quickly from it.

The well-dressed head of the household stepped into a familiar shop and greeted the keep. "Evening. I believe you've got something that I'm interested in seeing..." The shopkeep bowed deeply to Ludwig, who in turn didn't even seem to bat an eye. Rather, he was straightening out his tie, barely looking up as he made his way to the back. He knew the shop well enough that he barely had to pay attention as he navigated beyond the cursed objects that aligned the shelves. When they reached the back, he simply gave the man a nod to express his appreciation before he entered the room.

His eyes met Alic's as he did so, though the flames were casting shadows over both of the men's faces. "Ludwig Lestrange. Pleased to meet you," he outstretched a hand to what very well could be the next biggest power move that would be noted in history.
Alic
Jack-of-all-trades
Jack-of-all-trades

Post by Alic »

Alic watched Ludwig as he entered the room, analyzing him from the jump. Not that he hadn't already been extensively looking into him prior to this meeting. It was because of that research that he was willing to even meet with him. He looked at his hand as he outstretched it and stood up from his desk. He shook his hand in return, "Just call me Alic," he said, "And the pleasure is mine," he said before motioning towards a chair across from him at the desk, "Have a seat."

Once Ludwig had sat down, Alic resumed sitting in his own chair, "So. I'm sure my friends will have mentioned the... goal, more or less," he said, "What is it you'll be hoping to gain from this? Most people of your status hope to gain something from what I'm... planning," he said, leaning forward and leaning onto the desk, watching Ludwig as he asked the questions.

Until he trusted someone, he was always somewhat vague in what he said. He didn't need to start things early by killing people just because secrets got out to the wrong people. This sort of chess game took a lot of planning and steps, after all. He had plenty of pawns, but he still needed to fill in the back of the board before he made any major moves.
Ludwig Lestrange
Businessman
Businessman

Ludwig locked eyes with Alic as they shook hands on their meeting. As the man motioned to a chair across from him, Ludwig gave a small nod of approval. It was important to ensure that first impressions were effective. At the very least, Alic had managed a suitable meeting spot, had the room set up for this sort of meeting, and surely (being familiar with this place) there would be items to ensure that the men would have any refreshments if the meeting were to be an extended one. They hadn't established any sort of timeline. This was probably due to the fact that both men would be feeling out the arrangement to see if it suited they own individual goals.

"I've heard some talks of what it is you're looking for. But, if you wouldn't mind, I would enjoy hearing it directly from you. As I'm sure you're aware, word of mouth may have some accuracy to it, but it's not always entirely faithful to the original message." People were pawns. They would take the message you had and spin it exactly how you wanted them to if you played your cards right. "As I'm sure you've heard, my family has always been one of wealth and status. Until the war, that is." The war hit them hard. The name carried fear still, but did not hold the same level of influence as Ludwig would have liked. "What I want is simple. My family was once among the most powerful in the wizarding world. I want that power back." Ludwig's stare was serious, mirroring the determination he had for his goal. "I understand you are looking to...change some things...and you will need powerful allies on your side."

Like Alic, Ludwig would not trust anyone right off. However, if these two could mutually benefit one another, this could be the most promising move he would be making since the war. Ludwig watched Alic closely as he awaited a response. This would all need to be played out perfectly if he was to succeed. It was a gamble, but sometimes a gamble was worth the payout at the end.
Alic
Jack-of-all-trades
Jack-of-all-trades

Post by Alic »

Alic seemed to be weighing his words as he spoke before smirking a bit, seeming amused. He waved his hand and the door to the room shut with a solid "thump" and a cart of whiskey appeared beside his desk like it'd been there all along. He stood up from his seat and walked over towards it, "You're right," he said, "The kind of change I hope to create within our world is certainly going to need true power behind it," he said as he started to pour them both a drink, "This change I seek to create will shake the world as a whole to its foundations, removing all the barriers and expectations that have held those who deserve power and respect back," he set the drink down on Ludwig's side of the desk before going back around to his own, sitting down once more.

"They say the victor writes history, thus those who oppose them are automatically the villains. No one ever stops to really look at the facts," he said, sipping his drink, "That it always seems the victor wins not on their own merit, but rather the merit of their compatriots along with whatever luck they manage to have," he smirked, "That idea only furthers your comment, Lestrange. To go this alone would be foolish. And you seem the kind of fellow that's smart enough to know what side you need to be on when this all starts. I've been placing the pieces on the board all over the wizarding world, but I'm missing some components before I light the fuse," he said as he sat back, "Mostly people like you. That I think would do much better guiding this community towards its proper position."

"You may think I'm just blowing smoke, as they say, but I've done my research. You're no push-over or traitor to the cause, and you know that I'm your best bet to put the Lestrange name back where it belongs."
Ludwig Lestrange
Businessman
Businessman

Alic knew all the right things to say. He delivered them in the right tone and emphasized the right arguments. It was in that way the Ludwig both bought into this vision and questioned the authenticity of it all in the same. The head of House Lestrange settled into the chair to make himself more comfortable, bringing a leg up to rest his ankle on his opposite leg. His hand drew to his chin as he stroked the light stubble in thought. When Alic delivered his drink he swirled the liquid lazily, continuing to pay close attention to the message being delivered. At last, he spoke. "You, no doubt, have excellent taste in choosing your allies," he said, a seriousness and confidence in his voice as he made a nod to his own family name. "However, you cannot blame me for being skeptical about you 'blowing smoke' as you say."

This man had clearly done his research in the family and the values that they held. He knew what Ludwig yearned for. And his tactics were tempting him nearly beyond what he could second guess. But with the current state of the world, Mr. Lestrange needed to slow it down and carefully consider the prospect. On one hand, the Lestrange family had nothing to lose. The name did not currently hold the power it once commanded. On the other hand, he could not make a move that would send them further on this downward spiral.

"And just what is this proper position?" The man still held the glass between his middle finger and thumb, watching as the vortex swirled. The simple fact was that Ludwig certainly intended to put the Lestrange name back where it belonged one way or another. He just wanted to make sure that whatever route he chose, it gave him the best odds to succeed.
Alic
Jack-of-all-trades
Jack-of-all-trades

Post by Alic »

Alic smirked at Ludwig voicing his skepticism, "If you didn't, I might reconsider this conversation," he said, sipping his drink. He waited for it then nearly smiled at the right question being asked. Taking another sip, he leaned forward onto his desk, setting the glass down on the desk in front of him.

He steepled his hands before answering, "I guess that depends. But we can all agree that where we are now is not the right place. The Ministries hold too much power and somehow command a fair amount of fear," he said, "But that makes no sense. There are plenty of powerful witches and wizards that the Ministry doesn't even acknowledge. Why should we be bowing to them? No. I think the whole thing needs a good old-fashioned restart. Take out the Ministries," among other things, "And we can establish the status quo as it ought."

Alic needed people like Ludwig for their influence in particular crowds, and not to mention their quid, but he'd be sure to tell them all once the dust settled, just who they followed into a war. The status quo ought to be based on power, not lineage, that was his thought. But he didn't say that. He'd let Ludwig fill in the blank of what he thought it should be.

"Does that sound appealing to you, Lestrange?"
he raised a brow.

Return to “Diagon Alley District”