Charms | Deputy Headmistress
Player: Blue

Elyria Silverberg

Post by Elyria Silverberg »

Image Profile

Plots:
  • None yet.
Platonic:
Elyria attended Hogwarts where she was a prefect and later Head Girl. Upon graduation working at the Ministry of Magic in their Experimental Charms committee and later the Department of Magical Education as a staunch supporter of Hogwarts' autonomy in developing its own curriculum.
I'm open to developing backstories with others!
    Romantic:
    Over the years, Ely has had a handful of boyfriends. Her busy school schedule and added responsibilities in later years would have made it hard to maintain anything too serious, unless there was an understanding that she couldn't be around as much as others. After Hogwarts, however, this would not be the case until she started teaching at Hogwarts. A romantic interest would probably be best suited as someone who is able to be at Hogwarts or near the school since she stays there while classes are in session.
    It would be nice to have an interest, but I'd love to see it grow organically.
      Antagonistic:
      In the time between 1994 and leading up to the Second Wizard War, Elyria worked in the Department of Magical Education as an advocate for Hogwarts. When the High Inquisitor was placed at Hogwarts, she followed the actions closely and often found herself at odds with the supporters of the actions. She would certainly have enemies, especially at the Ministry, who feel that Hogwarts needs guidance in developing its curriculum and keeping students safe. While she has no opinion over the Aurors being at the school, she expects them to know their place when it comes to daily operations and the students. This may be a point of contention for any aurors that may try and discpline students who act out.
      Elyria is generally an amicable person, but is very protective over Hogwarts and its students. Anyone who would interfere with that would certainly see a more defensive side of her.
        Quick Bits:
        • Pure-blood with German and Irish bloodlines
        • Lives in Dublin when Hogwarts is on break
        • Her brother is a Quidditch player for the Kenmare Kestrels
        Education and Employment Timeline:
        • Attended Hogwarts from 1981-1988
        • Prefect in 1985
        • Head Girl in 1987
        • Experimental Charms Committee Member 1987-1994
        • Department of Magical Education Worker 1994-1998
        • Charms Professor and Deputy Headteacher 1998-Current
        Jae

Post by Jae »

Integra was the Arithmancy professor at Hogwarts from 1968 till the late 1980s, after which she headed the Department of Magical Education until 1999 before returning to Hogwarts as a professor. In light of this, I presume Ely and Integra would be quite familiar with each other.

As for their relationship, Integra has no reason to dislike Ely when the latter was a student, given her excellent conduct and good grades. During their time at the Department of Magical Education, Integra has always been one to push for change and reforms, so I hope Ely would have felt comfortable knowing that she has a supportive superior. During the Second Wizarding War, Integra would have held similar beliefs as Ely when it comes to the policies that the High Inquisitor wanted to implement, and she would have fought back as far as possible in her capacity and shielded her staff from any repercussions as the Head of Department of Magical Education. Also, after the War ended, Integra could have written a letter of recommendation to Hogwarts when Ely applied for her current position at Hogwarts.

I do see one possible point of contention between them: the stationing of Aurors at Hogwarts. Integra pushed hard for the tightening of security at Hogwarts as a way to reassure parents and students that the school was safe. While I don’t think Integra would demand that Aurors involve themselves in disciplinary matters (she most certainly wouldn’t be explicitly opposed to it though), she would want Aurors to have some degree of power and control over aspects of Hogwarts’ day-to-day operations, particularly those related to the security of the school. Ultimately though, I believe that they all have the interest of Hogwarts at heart and share the same goal, even if they have differing opinions about the nitty-gritty details of the execution.
        Blue

Post by Blue »

Oh I really like how this ties them together!

I think Ely would have a tremendous amount of respect for Integra, especially with her having been one of Ely's professors while at Hogwarts. Maybe there is even a little backstory of where she couldn't shake calling her "Professor SIgma" for a period of time, more from that respect than to be disrespectful or anything.

Elyria asking Integra for a letter of recommendation would be amazing, too! With her history at Hogwarts and later heading up the Department of Magical Education, Ely would have considered it a boon to her application to have her provide on. Would Ely have know that Integra was also planning to return, or would it have been a surprise? Would she have offered any sort of mentorship when they returned to Hogwarts?

I'm excited to see where the topic of Aurors at Hogwarts will go among all of the Hogwarts staff and see the different points of view. I can't wait to see how conversations with the Aurors may go as well!
        kim

Post by kim »

Julian and Elyria both began their positions as Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher on 1 September, 1999 and have been working closely together for the last six years. Julian interacts with Elyria more than any other member of staff at Hogwarts, possibly on a daily basis.

They have plenty in common: their years at Hogwarts were similar, albeit at different times. Julian is also extremely hardworking and ambitious. His grades were near perfect, and he was a "teacher's pet" that was made Prefect and Head Boy. His work ethic has not changed over the years, and his dedication is to the school.

Elyria is one of the few staff members at Hogwarts to know about Julian's personal life. Julian is an extremely private person, but she would have been there to witness firsthand his grief, his divorce, his estrangement from his daughter, and his struggles with sobriety

I don't see any reason why Julian wouldn't like Elyria and I could see them having a close friendship, but depending on how Elyria feels, it could go the other way.
        Jae

Post by Jae »

Ely wouldn’t be the only one addressing Integra as “Professor Sigma” :P I feel Nigel, the Transfiguration professor, would do so too. (Though in his case, it’s partially out of respect and partially because he’s still secretly a bit afraid of her.)

Hmm… Integra was planning to retire from the Ministry and the Wizengamot in 1999 after pushing for Hogwarts to be reopened. Instead she ended up leaving only the Ministry to return to Hogwarts as a professor, while staying on in the Wizengamot. As for whether or not Ely knew that Integra was coming back to Hogwarts… I suppose it could work either way. Maybe she was surprised to see Integra at Hogwarts. Or maybe she was the one who asked Integra if she wanted to come back to teach? There are a lot of possibilities that we could explore.

I do have an Auror character as well: Louis Harrigan. He’s definitely not the sort to hand out punishments to the students though. He feels that he’s only there to take care of the security of the school, not discipline the kids. Truth be told he’d rather not witness the students doing anything funny, so he wouldn’t be torn between reporting their actions to the professors and pretending that he saw nothing. But that could be a different problem if he’s turning a blind eye to the students’ shenanigans.
        Blue

Post by Blue »

Julian Rossi wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:01 pm They have plenty in common: their years at Hogwarts were similar, albeit at different times. Julian is also extremely hardworking and ambitious. His grades were near perfect, and he was a "teacher's pet" that was made Prefect and Head Boy. His work ethic has not changed over the years, and his dedication is to the school.

Elyria is one of the few staff members at Hogwarts to know about Julian's personal life. Julian is an extremely private person, but she would have been there to witness firsthand his grief, his divorce, his estrangement from his daughter, and his struggles with sobriety.
        I think their pairing will be great based on their similar experiences with the school. Anything Julian wanted to share with her was held in confidence, and if she needed to cover during his struggles, Ely would do so without any hesitation or negative feelings toward him. I'm excited to see how it would all play out between them!

Integra Sigma wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:09 pm Hmm… Integra was planning to retire from the Ministry and the Wizengamot in 1999 after pushing for Hogwarts to be reopened. Instead she ended up leaving only the Ministry to return to Hogwarts as a professor, while staying on in the Wizengamot. As for whether or not Ely knew that Integra was coming back to Hogwarts… I suppose it could work either way. Maybe she was surprised to see Integra at Hogwarts. Or maybe she was the one who asked Integra if she wanted to come back to teach? There are a lot of possibilities that we could explore.
        I'm open to any way you'd like to spin it! I can definitely see Elyria asking Integra to come back while they were trying to cover the impending staff shortages. In her mind having someone back at Hogwarts that had experience teaching before the Second Wizarding War would be beneficial to the school. I'm open to anything you've got if that doesn't quite work!

Integra Sigma wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:09 pm I do have an Auror character as well: Louis Harrigan. He’s definitely not the sort to hand out punishments to the students though. He feels that he’s only there to take care of the security of the school, not discipline the kids. Truth be told he’d rather not witness the students doing anything funny, so he wouldn’t be torn between reporting their actions to the professors and pretending that he saw nothing. But that could be a different problem if he’s turning a blind eye to the students’ shenanigans.
        Feel free to throw him my way! I'd love to see how Elyria responds to the Aurors in general. I think their views mesh fairly well, given her stance on who should be handling the disciplinary actions.

Return to “Adults”